Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Boot Into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MerryMagdalen

MerryMagdalen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

I have a computer which is about 8 years old. It runs Windows 2000 Pro. AVG runs and updates every morning automatically, and I have just run both AdAware and SpyBot.

When I run AdAware/Spybot my AVG pops up with a "Threat Detected!" box, but I can neither heal nor quarantine the file.

Some cursory googling told me that mssync2020 is a Trojan (which is how I found this site). I also found detailed instructions on how to remove it. This requires going into safe mode. I then found instructions for getting into safe mode. Bully.

Except not. I purchased my computer from the company I used to work for. Since multiple people used the same computer we all had passwords to log on. When I try to boot into safe mode it will not take my password. It will not take no password at all.

So my questions are several: Am I missing something? Is there some extra step I'm missing (F8 during startup, select "Safe Mode", waiting, getting rejected)?

And if it turns out that I cannot get into safe mode, could I use a program like Hijack This to remove this Trojan?

I asked this question on another board and it was suggested that I strip the passwords. Just getting multiple opinions. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

I think you should run yahoo toolbar with antispy (http://toolbar.yahoo.com), and run the Windows Defender (search for at http://www.microsoft.com). That should clear up the virus. As for safe mode, did you place you correct username? If you want to look at current users and/or reset their passwords, go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Computer management>User management. This will show you each user, right click the user you want to change the password on (IE: Administrator), and hit reset password. Type in your new password and try to log in as Administrator for safemode.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 MerryMagdalen

MerryMagdalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

My system doesn't support Windows Defender - you have to have XP, and I'm running 2000 Pro. As I said, I've run two antispyware and an antivirus program; they all detect it but can't clear it up.

I'm sure I used my correct username and password.

I tried following that order of keys and was not offered the option of changing anyone's password (though I am in the adminsitrator group). This computer used to be networked so there are some functions I may not have.

ETA: ok, I can reset the built-in administrator account password. I think.

Edited by MerryMagdalen, 27 March 2007 - 10:23 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

Try downloading Asquared and run it, it will work best in safe mode but still may be effective.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users