Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

i know this may have been asked before, but i couldnt find it here, and i apologize if i shouldnt post this topic.

alrighty im not going to lie, i know nothing about linux, except from what i hear is its an extreamly stable OS that can be modifyed by the user with advanced knowledge. I happen to have an old comp that used to have "windows ME" (anyone who knows "ME" will know that it needs to be taken out back and shot), and was thinking of tinkering with a different OS, so i heard a little about linux. what things is linux good for? what isnt it good for? whats the OS more geared for? is it possible to dual boot? i hear there are many ver. of linux becuase its open source and so people modify it and distribute it, what ver. are good? what is some terminoligy to know so i dont look too dumb when/if i try it out?

thank you for your time
-Ussr1943-
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

Well, mostly everybody looks/feels/sounds stupid when first tinkering with linux. There is an enormous learning curve, and there is a snotty elitist attitude that is prevalent among linux users. Mind you, I said prevalent, so that doesn't include everybody. There are many willing to help, and there are just tons of support forums. Count on spending a lot of time reading, though. I can guarantee that somebody somewhere has had the same problems that you will inevitably encounter. Do your research before asking questions.

As far as what Linux can do that Windows can't, it might be easier to talk about what Linux can't do that Windows can. Pretty much all that boils down to is games. Well, there are a few other differences. Fonts on Linux are pretty limited. Wireless support is a bear. Linux doesn't have as many snazzy apps that make IT management nearly mindless.

A couple of other things that will make life easier. Of all those people with the elitist attitudes; most of them do not know anything. They tell you to RTFM, and treat you like you are stupid for fear of you finding out that they don't know crap either (Or you asked a ridiculously simple question that would have been answered with five minutes of research). Then you will get another group of people that Linux is the greatest thing going... don't get baited into that. Outside of a production environment, most people use so little of Linux's capabilities that they are completely unable to quantify their argument. You'll know the ones that actually know anything. They are the ones willing to help you.

As far as what distro to try, I can't say. You system specs are probably not going to allow you to run live distros, so you will probably just have to bite the bullet and pick one. You will want to choose one that has some sort of a GUI installation. Count on completely mucking it up the installation the first half a dozen times. After that, count on screwing up the first couple of successful installs to the point of having to reinstall again.

I pretty much only use Windows for game playing, plus a few other apps that don't run under Linux, but that is about it. I am n the process of converting my server over to Linux, and that has probably taught me more in the last two weeks than anything. I don't use Linux because I want to be cool; I use it because I can get about any software I want for free, the OS doesn't cost anything, and I learn something in the process.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

very interesting, i will have to do some more research on linux it looks like. thanks for your time
-Ussr1943-
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

Linux is a great OS to learn.

a good way to get used to it is using LiveCD's like Knoppix or Puppy.

Some books I picked up along the way to help me were
"Linux PhraseBook" essential codes and commands
and
"Linnux for Dummies" actually very useful for beginers unaccustomed to the ways of linux

Posted Image

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Hay there ussr1943
I'm still sorta new to Linux but do you have broadband or dialup?, What would you like to do with Linux ? just surf and e-mail ? do you want a "windows" like desktop ? I used Knoppix 3.7 and 4.0 (both live cd's) on a 350k6 ,128mb ram with out much trouble .people use Ubuntu on about the same I think. increase it to 256mb mem. and you should be good to try most any of them.(live CD's) It does take some getting used to (Linux that is) you might want to check out http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ for some general ideas, plus http://www.linuxinfo.dyndns.org/tell_me_a_...about_linux.htm
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Switching...ntu/FromWindows
also look here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/80994/good-linux-for-old-computer/ , bigger brains that mine there. :thumbsup:
I'm running Linspire , it came preloaded on my new box. It works fairly well but I don't recomend buying it as "Freespire" looks like to be replacing it, apparently, (the Linspire forums have been moved to freespire, and there should be a Linspire 6.0 sooner or later) and Freespire will be hitting 2.0 this summer and will be (is) free.
If you're a simple man with simple needs ( like me ) DSL is pretty good and runs on just about anything, or even DSL-N (Damn Small Linux- Not) which uses Seamonkey instead of Firefox and has more "stuff".
the beauty of live cd's is that it doesn't need your Hdd to run and unless you save your personal settings they don't touch it.

Edited by no one, 26 March 2007 - 11:29 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

i am reassembling my "ME" PC and i have wiped ME of it, thank god, anyways i think i will DL a live ver and most likely install to try it out, linux doesnt seem too different from windows and really its either i put ME back on my old machine or put on linux (XP & vista not availible becuase my newer comp never came with XP disc , and im not interested in vista currently). thanks for the help, i am probably going to check out knoppix or possible Debian or Ubuntu ,(not sure if Debian has a live ver. will have to check more in-depth). any more tips or help on trying out linux would be appreciated. the use of the os is just mainly something new to play around with no real need to run games, with possible server set up for later if i install.
thanks again
-Ussr1943-

Edited by ussr1943, 27 March 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

For older machines, and beginners to Linux, I usually recommend another flavor of Ubuntu called Xubuntu. It's very similar to Ubuntu, it just uses a less power-hungry desktop interface (Xfce instead of GNOME), so it's better suited to older hardware, especially if you're running 256MB of RAM or less. It has both the live CD, and the "alternate" CD, that just does the installation and requires only 64megs for ram.

Anyhow, any of the Ubuntu distros are good for new and casual Linux users, and most any problem or question you have about the system is or can be answered at the ubuntu forums.

www.xubuntu.com
Posted Image

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

cool arcman thats just what I've been researching as I was scanning the new posts. you rock man saved me probably another 30 min.

Also FreeBSD is a good OS to try

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users