Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Printing Problems -cable Or Drivers Or Both

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glb

glb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

greetings.

I hope someone can help with a simple question about a new laptop (Vista) and the lack of a parallel printer connection. I am told that I should just use the USB port and connect that to my printer. I use a bi-directional autoswitch to share my HP Laserjet 5 printer. The autoswitch receives the printer output cable and then it is shared to various PC's I have. I need to plug a DB25 Male into the autoswitch and the other end will go to now a USB port instead of the normal parallel printer port on the laptop. I can't find the correct cable anywhere so I was sold a USB to serial cable 9 pin and a 9 pin cable that connects to it with a DB25 parallel output to my autoswitch. It won't work and I thought it was the driver for Vista as all the other PC's work to the LJ5 printer.

Am I correct that the 9 pin serial connector will not carry the parallel print info to the printer and vice versa?

If so can someone tell me where to buy a USB to DB25 parallel cable?

Thanks
glb
3/36/07

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:22 AM

I'd check Radio Shack for the converter. If not, then an extensive web search may be in order.

I wonder if the 2 adapters that you are using are bi-directional. Also, I've seen some postings on the web about shutting off the bi-directional aspect of the printer (which should enable this to work - although I haven't tried it myself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users