Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Access Internet, Thinks Its Because Of Firewall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chuchubunny

chuchubunny

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

Hi,
Hows everyone doing? I'm a bit confused. A few days ago I was using my computer on my schools dorm wireless internet. It worked as always. I went back home to my home wireless and I could still connect to the internet. Then suddenly pages wouldn't load. I was still connected but couldn't use firefox or IE. I have norton internet security 2005, zonealarm firewall, and avast antivirus. I system restored my computer and it worked. Then I ran the avast antivirus scan to clean my computer, it rebooted, then couldn't use firefox or IE again. I restored a few more time but nothing changed so it couldn't restore. I turned off my norton and now firefox works. Both norton and zonealarm asked it I would allow ashwebsv.exe and I did, which is an avast antivirus webscanner program, which allowed me to use firefox. Zonealarm is allowing it, but norton isn't, even though I said allow and added the program to its programs list. Its just webpages I cant connect to.
Everything should work correctly, I don't want my norton security to be off and I want access to the web to do school work. Should I undo my system restore? Any other suggestions?
Thank you for your time.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 March 2007 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hello,

Can you use other apps to connect to the internet? for example messenger aim skype etc. if so then it could be that for some reason your firewall is blocking port 80, which is the port browsers use to connect to the net.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 chuchubunny

chuchubunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:07 PM

Yep. I can use messenger, aim, I used the realplayer internet browser that comes with realplayer and it worked! It just wont let me with firefox and IE. The ones I want.
so if it is blocking port 80... what should i do?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

What jumped out to me from chuchubunny's post was this:

"I have norton internet security 2005, zonealarm firewall, and avast antivirus."

NIS includes a firewall and antivirus. You really don't need 2 firewalls and 2 antivirus programs.
You won't get any additional protection and they can conflict with each other. Running two firewalls simultaneously may cause connectivity problems and other unexpected results even if you disable one firewall.

#5 chuchubunny

chuchubunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

*Laughs* I see. I just wanted to be extra safe! Well my NIS is an expried trial version... So its just a firewall (which I assume works...) should I just keep my NIS turned off? I'm thinking if I undo my system restore it might fix it. But im not exactly sure what the heck I'm doing so I'll listen to people with better advice.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

Since the NIS is an expired trial version, I suggest that you uninstall it. If you choose to leave it on your computer, disabled, it will just take up drive space and Norton is a resource hog.
After uninstalling Norton, use the Norton removal tool to get rid of the traces Norton is notorious for leaving behind.

Norton Removal Tool Can Be Found Here

#7 chuchubunny

chuchubunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

I deleted norton internet security, should I also delete norton security center? or is that fine? I havent used the removal tool yet.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

The Norton security center is very similar to windows security center, it has no AV or Firewall, but monitors the system for AV products and other firewalls.

If you want to get rid or norton, you should use the removal tool, which is designed to remove everything that belongs to norton
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users