Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Update And Temp File Settings For Java 6.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

I just installed Java 6.0 and decided to turn off the automatic updates feature in the Java control panel so that jusched.exe thing isn't always running (which it does, even if you set it to check only once a month). I figure I can just check for updates manually through the control panel once in awhile.

Is there anything bad/wrong with doing it that way?

Also, I noticed that there's a box you can check in General > Temporary Internet Files > Settings that says "Keep Temporary Files on my Computer". I decided to uncheck this so they're not kept on my computer. Any reason to leave it checked?

Finally, are there any settings in the Advance section, especially under Security, that I'd want to make sure are set a certain way?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 March 2007 - 05:22 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

As long as you remember to manually check of Java updates, there is nothing wrong in turning it off. I have it turned off, and checking is on my computer maintenance monthly checklist.
Java temporary files are not, however, quite like browser temporary files (useful for a short period whilst browsing); these files contain, among other files, applets that you may use quite often (BC Chat, for example); deleting these will require you to re-download these every time to use the feature.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:22 PM

Let me ask you...

1. Do I really need Java? I don't think I use it really...

2. Could I just remove it and then install it if/when the time comes that I really need it?

3. I've been told two different things about which to install. Some say to install 6. Others say to install 5 Update 11 if I'm just using JVMs to run Applets (is that what I'm doing?). Which should I do?

4. Should I use the Sun Download manager to download? The first time I downloaded 6, I didn't. But I deleted the .exe, so I'll need to download and if/when I reinstall.

I'm actually going to uninstall 6 right now and wait until I get an answer before reinstalling (as I forgot to delete the Java objects in IE before installing 6 -- it looks like they're all for 6 now, but one doesn't have the same icon, so I'm thinking it was a 5_6 one left that got written over, and I read that's not ideal).

Looking forward to hearing back -- thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 26 March 2007 - 08:38 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users