Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access "control Panel"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pat666

pat666

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me out. I have an older computer running Window XP Home and sp1. It has been running great until recently. My son plays a lot of World of Warcraft and in the last month the computer would crash every so often. Thinking that it might be a video driver problem (I had a similar problem with another computer) I prepared to uninstall the old drivers and install a set that the video card company says is very stable - the same set I use on my second computer.

I tried to access the Control Panel from the "Start" button and I get an window that says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close"

Everything else seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. I can run programs, access the internet, search for files, etc. Also start up and shut down are normal (no errors or anything unusual).

I don't know if this will tell anything, but here is the info from the error message:
Error Signature
AppName: Explorer.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106
ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217
Offset: 0000b2ab

Here is what I did today prior to discovering this problem:
Ran CleanMgr
Ran Ad-Aware
Ran SuperAntiSpyware
Defragged hard drive using the Windows defrag utility
Ran Registry Booster (corrects errors in the registry and defrags it)

The big problem, I guess, is that I haven't needed to access the Control Panel for a long time (months) so I don't know how long it's been like this!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just a quick edit to this note - I just restored the registry to its state before using Registry Booster and still have the same problem.

Edited by pat666, 26 March 2007 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

See if this helps:
NOTE:
This is a registry edit. If you're not comfortable with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

kellys-korner
Restore the Control Panel - #256, on the Left
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

I went to Kellys-korner and tried the registry fix. No success. This is driving me nuts! Why would the ability to access the control panel be the only thing happening? Seems like if I have a problem with explorer.exe it should affect more than one thing. Oh well.

Thanks for responding. Anything else I can try?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

Look for the Windows Explorer error in this you may find something:

Troubleshooting Windows Explorer Errors

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/e...er-crashes.html

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

You should definitely upgrade to SP2. Microsoft no longer support SP1 and you're leaving yourself open for malware issues.

End Of Support For Windows Xp Sp1 On October 10, 2006, Reminder
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

Thanks to ThorXP and Budapest for the suggestions. I am going to try some of the suggestions on the HelpWithWindows site.

Budpest, I do have a question for you (might be silly though). One of the reasons I avoided sp2 was because my cable supplier, Comcast, said a lot of their customers were having problems when they upgraded. This was a while ago, but I figured, if sp1 is working for me why fix it? Should I be concerned about this? Also do I need to access the control panel if I decide to upgrade?

Thanks.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

SP2 plus the additional critical updates that are available after it's install contain many security fixes. You should download them.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

I have to agree with, TheTerrorist_75.
You're leaving yourself open to a host of security risks, by not updating to SP2, and all critical updates since the release of SP2.

One thing you want to be sure of, before updating, is to be positive you have no malware present on your system.
If you're clean, the update should go off without any problems.
Most of the problems that were being reported about SP2, had to do with compatability issues with some programs, and trying to install it on an infected system.
The compatability issues have, for the most part, been fixed.
Some older programs, that are no longer supported, may still have problems.

Just in case :thumbsup: :
How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer or your Tablet PC if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

This article discusses how to use the Automatic Recovery feature to restore your computer to its previous configuration if the installation of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is not completed successfully, and you cannot start your computer or Tablet PC. Follow these steps if your computer or Tablet PC does not start correctly after you try to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows XP SP2. This article also discusses how to collect information about the Windows XP SP2 installation and about your computer or Tablet PC to help troubleshoot issue. The Windows XP SP2 Setup logs, the System Information tool, and the event logs contain information that can help a Microsoft Product Support Services professional who may be working with you to diagnose the issue.

Edited by tg1911, 28 March 2007 - 06:41 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users