Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msinfo Not Responding?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spliffinator

Spliffinator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Hello all you computer geeks, like myself :thumbsup: , i would just like to say its really nice to join a forum, and i hope both me and you can help each other out.

Now im having a very worrying problem

Whenever i try and save my MSinfo32, it always says not responding, it doesnt do it with any other program!? I have tried to format my PC, and then it works for a few days, then starts the error again! :S So if anyone knows of this problem please do reply.

Spliff :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

This may be an infection, or it may be damage to the operating system. I'd first suggest this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com

Since you've formatted and then the problem comes back - it's likely one of these 3 problems:
1) Hardware problems with the file system (most likely your hard drive, but could be your memory or other components)
2) A boot sector virus
3) You're getting infected from visiting the same places.

The scan above will help rule out 2 and 3 - so that'll leave us with hardware issues to troubleshoot if it isn't an infection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Spliffinator

Spliffinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

Ah thank you for your help, i do agree that it maybe im going onto a site where it gives me a virus, but i never realised this before. I don't know this for certain but it is a possiblity. Im running the scan now so ill tell you the results when it is done.

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 28 March 2007 - 07:39 AM.

#4 Spliffinator

Spliffinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:49 PM

Ok i did a scan, it said it found some junk and stuff so it deleted it, tried it again and it still didnt work. It must be my hard drive - I have loads of problems with it as it is.. Firstly it doesnt read disks.. secondly it wont run my world of warcraft (basically it can't read the disk) and its pretty rubbish really.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

The infection could have caused these problems, and the removal could have left problems with your Operating System.

I'd first suggest that you submit a HiJackThis log to this forum ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ ) to ensure that everything has been removed. There's pinned topics at the top that'll let you know how to run and submit the logfile.

After the cleaning is done, then we can get down to fixing the OS problem (if it still exists), but we'll need a "clean" PC to do it on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users