Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking 2 Pcs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

is it to network two PCs on which one does not have NIC?is it possble to set them up successfully if the other end of ethernet cable shall be ported into LAN port at the back of the cable modem that is connected to the computer i want to be an ICS host?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

If you are going to do that you might as will spend $5 on a used Ethernet card. If you have to spend money, you are better off spending it on a Ethernet card. In the long run you will be happier.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FA311R&cat=NET
http://justdeals.stores.yahoo.net/dfe530tx1.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

no...i was getting "network card is unplugged" even if i connected two computers via ethernet cable.It was just that i dont have nic in my computer connected to cable modem but the other computer has . i was trying to network these two using the lan port of the cable modem.but icaould get rid of this red cross at lan connection icon.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

I would recommend a router. They are not that expensive and a lot less of a headache.
With a router you connect it to your modem, the plug your computers into the router. It will have the software to make it painless.

This is what I use. Linksys NR041wm Router

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

i just wanted to have wired network at home coz a friend of mine gave me an ethernet cable to connect two PCs just a room distant apart.
do you have an idea on how to fix this issue or is it not possible to connect these two ,only one has NIC?
or isnt just few clicks away? or do i really need to install new one inside the pc that does not have this?

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

If you ar etryin gto connect two PC's together, you need a crossover cable. This looks like an ethernet cable but it is pinned differently. Take the advice in the previous posts and invest in a router. Not only will it allow you to connect the 2 PC's to the internet but it will afford you a measure of protection in the form of a hardware firewall.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

Yes, you need a NIC in each computer, and along with the added security is the fact that you don't have to have the first computer turned on (with ICS) to gain internet access on the second one.

Edited by twardnw, 28 March 2007 - 10:38 PM.

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

Yes, you need a NIC in each computer, and along with the added security is the fact that you don't have to have the first computer turned on (with ICS) to gain internet access on the second one.

but how can I do that?I dont want to spend money for router as this is just experimental.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:53 AM

but how can I do that?I dont want to spend money for router as this is just experimental.

The simple fact is you will have to buy something to do what you want. The Ethernet solution it by far the best. You can go as simple as a second NIC and a crossover cable, but then you will only have the to computers connected to each other. 2 NIC, one for each computer, that way your first computer can use one NIC to connect to the internet and the second NIC to connect to the second computer.
Another option is to use a serial, parallel, or usb cable to make a direct cable connection between the two computers. I doubt you have a data USB cable laying around so you will have to spend $10 to $20 on a USB Data Transfer cable.
At the least you are looking at $5 for a use NIC and $15 for a Cat5 Crossover cable, to $50 for a router and a Cat5 patch cable.
I started out just like you playing around seeing what hardware and software I could get to work. You can get free software but hardware in difficult to come by without spending at least a little money.

Sorry.

#10 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

ive got cat5e utp stranded 10m patch cord.Is this patch cable or crossover cable ?or is it the same?
i also got cat .5 patch cable.what cable is this?
are these what i need?

#11 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

those are exactly the same thing. You need a crossover cable to do this without a router.

You could do it with a switch (slightly cheaper than a router), but you would need to manually set the IP addresses of each computer

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:52 AM

can i use usb NIC where im gonna plug cross over cable in?it is bcoz im not allowed to open the chassis to insert pci NIC. are these only what i need network wizard,2 nics and crossover cable for this situation?
im gonna network two pcs running xp without any connectivty device(router,hub).any suggestions?

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

Yes you can use a USB NIC to network your 2 computers. The only drawback with USB is if you needed to go into Safe Mode with Networking the USB NIC will not work. Windows needs to be in regular mode to activate the USB drivers.
Other than that the USB solution is and excellent idea.

#14 windgod

windgod

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:06 AM

how do i know if its a ethernet cable or crossover cable? and i have 2 computers at home, i dont wana spend money on a router, and i have a cable that i know you can setup a network with.

#15 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

when you buy it, the packaging will specifically state 'crossover cable' We could go into proper order of conductors in the cable, but I think that might be a little to detailed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users