Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S-video Output To Tv Is Black And White

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:57 AM

Using an Acer 5685WLMi, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 I hooked it up to my TV via an S-Video to Scart lead. The output on the TV was black and white.

I have not altered any of the default settings on this one month old laptop, at least none that I am aware of.

Should I be able to get colour output? Is there a simple fix?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

Many TVs with only one scart socket don't accept s-video signals - hence the B+W. Even if you're using a scart to s-video adaptor. If your TV has two scart sockets try the other one. Sometimes the first socket is RGB compatible and the second s-video compatible.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Budapest.

My TV does have three scart sockets and I was using the only one that didn't say "S-Video." However, when I use the other two sockets that do say "S-Video" they are both black and white as well.

The fourth socket on my TV is an RGB input. Is there such a cable as an S-Video to RGB? Do you think that would be a better cable?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

I'm not sure about S-Video to RGB.

The B+W issue can also be caused if the signal is NTSC and your TV will only work with PAL.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

Would the output signal from my laptop itself be NTSC? The image of the desktop is black and white. Is there somewhere on the Laptop I can change this?

Thanks again

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:40 AM

Normally you can change between NTSC and PAL. Go into the Display Settings on your computer and dig around in all the different menus - you should find somewhere where you can choose the format.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

I'm afraid I have not been able to find where I can change the output from NTSC to PAL.

Can anyone help me find where I can do this?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

Right click on your desktop select NVIDIA Display and then try to find the TV Settings option.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Budapest, that got me to the "TV Wizard" and it told me to go to dual mode, as opposed to the clone mode I had it in, and it automatically selected "I/PAL" for the output.

BUT, still black and white :thumbsup:

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

Sorry, but I'm all out of ideas. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the help Budapest. You got me through the steps I suspected I needed to get through but it might have taken me several days to find them on my own. I appreciate teh time and help you have given me.

Anyone else have any ideas what might be the problem?

What cables do others use to connect their laptop to the TV?

Cheers.

Edited by ArthurAttic, 26 March 2007 - 09:31 AM.

#12 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

I tried S-Video to S-Video (I found another input I didn't know I had on the TV.)
I have tried twiddling with lots of the seetings on the nVidia control panel.

But its still in black and white.

Does anyone know if altering the Screen Refresh Rate might help? The laptop is currently refreshing at 60Hz and my TV is 100Hz. I ask here because when I went to alter the refresh rate I was presented with a new Users Licence agreement which made me wonder if I was about to mess around with stuff I don't really understand.

#13 ArthurAttic

ArthurAttic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

There are lots of different tips and hints at ecoustics web site.

Apparently an S-Video to Scart lead in the UK will always be black and white (unless you make the changes in one of the threads at ecoustics.)

I was using an S-Video to S-Video lead and it turns out all I had to do was adjust the setting on my TV from "Input: AV" to "Input: S-Video"

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/124714.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users