Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 upgrade to Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pinoyboy11_98

pinoyboy11_98

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

hey u guys. i was just wondering if you have any info about the Windows XP Service Pack 2. I currently run on Windows 98 and was just curious if I'm able to use that service pack to upgrade to Windows XP.

i already downloaded the file but it says this:

"Error Starting Program

The WINDOWSXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.EXE file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtshutdownSystem."

i would like to know if that has anything to do with the fact that i CAN'T upgrade with this service pack from Windows 98 to Windows XP.

if you can help that would be great. and also if you have any info on if i can download windows xp so that i can upgrade to it.

Thank you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:07 AM

Welcome to BC!

Service pack 2 is only for the XP OS. It is not a upgrade to XP from any OS below XP. Just a upgrade of security on the XP OS. The reason you get that error is because you are running 98 and it has to be XP OS.

As for upgrading to XP If your pc is too old it wont accept XP because of the CPU size and ram size. You cant download the XP OS anywere online for free or paid that I know of unless its illegal. Even if you could it would take forever to download it is very big!

You can buy the XP OS at Walmart and other stors like that. GO to ebay if you want to save.

Hope this helps.

#3 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

there are places that sell just the license for XP... if you have a physical copy of the disc all you need (how i understand it that is...) is just the license for it.

all you get for that $60-70 is a certificate and a sticker to put on your machine...
and a XP serial that is yours.

ProNetCD page for Windows XP Home

this *seems* like a good deal... windows xp home for just $54 ??

just a google for "windows xp license" turned up this site...

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:38 PM

I think that is neat but are the trusted? I can get my own copy of XP pro sealed for 100.00 or less!

So if you need a copy just ask I will show you were to get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users