Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run Any Program From The Run... Box

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:46 AM

I like to keep a pretty well organized desktop and Start Menu. Actually, I like them spartan. So, my desktop has only My Computer, My Docs, and Recycle Bin, and My Start Menu has everything categorized and sorted. Trouble is, that can make for some wrist strain when opening a program buried deep in the labyrinth. So, many of my programs I open from the Run... box.

For example, if I want to run Azureus, I simply type Azureus into the Runn box and it starts. Same with Firefox, just type Firefox.

How did I manage that, you ask? Simple! Through a batch file.

All I did was to write a small batch file for each program I wanted to launch that way:

start /d"%programfiles%/Azureus" Azureus.exe
exit

This launches Azureus.

Let's break down the .bat file for the uninitiated:

start /d

This will tell the computer to close the command box that appears to launch the program. You shouldn't change this.

"%programfiles%/Azureus"

This is the path to the folder that contains the program file. Note that it's contained in double quotes and that it uses the Windows variable %programfiles%. As long as the program is under the Program Files directory, you needn't change that. Just change what comes after the / from Azureus to whatever the folder(s) is.

Azureus.exe

This is the actual program itself. Note that it is outside the quotes and is seperated from the rest by one space.

exit

This closes the command box. This needs to be on a seperate line from everything else.

Now, save the file as whatever.bat in your C:\Windows\System32 or C:\WINNT\System32 folder. Now, you can launch the program from the run.. box by typing whatever (no need for the .bat part)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

I created a little program to help make those batch files!

Click Here

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

Is this a standalone application, or does it require installation?

:thumbsup:
Fun little Chess game on your site.
Needs to be a little harder to beat, though, but still fun to play. :flowers:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

It's a standalone. I made it myself! My very first attempt at actual programming! :thumbsup: :inlove: :cool: :trumpet: :flowers:

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

:thumbsup:
Fun little Chess game on your site.
Needs to be a little harder to beat, though, but still fun to play. :flowers:

Hey, how many chess games that you know of are writtenin Javascript? It has it's limitations.

Try having the computer play both sides. Each time I do that it salemates!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 02 April 2007 - 08:04 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the info.

Try having the computer play both sides. Each time I do that it salemates!

What good is a computer, that's not smart enough to beat itself. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

True. Play the Battleship game then.

Or download MS Bob. Waste some time, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users