Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Backup Utility

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

I want to back up my registry. When I use the wizard in XP backup, it only offers floppy disk, a removable drive (my printer -??) and A:\ Can I get it to recognize the cd drive and, if so, how? Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

There may be a work around but according to Microsoft you cannot use the Microsoft Backup program to backup to CD\DVD. MS Backup only sees CD\DVD devices as read only.

Backup Does Not Back Up to CD\DVD
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

There may be a work around but according to Microsoft you cannot use the Microsoft Backup program to backup to CD\DVD. MS Backup only sees CD\DVD devices as read only.

Oh, thanks Acklan, I'd be happy to do it on my new backup drive, but it doesn't list that, either. Do you know how big it is - if it's just small, I can probably ferret out a floppy. Or is it possible just to copy-paste the relevant files and if so, where do I find out what and where they are? Thanks for your help.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

I pretty much keep all my data under MY Documents so I just back it up once a week. I also make sure that I make a backup of my Registry once a week and create a restore point every night using Spybot and SpywareGuard when they scan for malware.
If I have to chose a restore point I do not generally have to go very far back. Remember if you use a restore point you loose everything from the date of the restore point to the time you use the restore point. If your restore point is a week old you loose a week of work.

Just FYI.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

I don't know what a restore point is. My documents are backed up, but there isn't any work on this computer, so I don't care if I lose it. Really the only thing I want to preserve is settings and bookmarks and that sort of thing so I don't have to do it all again and I want to avoid aggravation by knowing what to do if or when it bites the dust.

I can't back up the registry once a week, because I can't back it up at all..... :thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

If you want to save the Windows Back Up onto your new External HD;
When you have the Windows Back Up Wizard open and it asks you to Choose a Place to Save Your Back Up, Browse to find the new drive.. probably Drive E. (Be sure your external drive is plugged in and powered on)
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

When you have the Windows Back Up Wizard open and it asks you to Choose a Place to Save Your Back Up, Browse to find the new drive.. ...

I was trying browse before and it only browsed on the floppy, or prompted me to insert a disk. I just tried it again, and if I go to the A:\ option, I can get back to the Explorer options and find the external drive. I set that restore point anyway, hopefully a restore will get me back if everything gets messed up. If I stop posting, you'll know it's because my computer is cactus....

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

(hey, TMack, check out your posts number - surely that means something in computer-speak?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users