Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Built This Computer! Now Problems! Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 minicooper21921

minicooper21921

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

:thumbsup: I Just Built this computer like 3 days ago. I started it up for the first time and i couldnt get it to run... So i messed with the cord in the back and it then ran. Well I got windows installed and all that.. and I went to bed and the next morning i woke up and the computer was off. So I restarted it and it did ok as if i had normally shut it down. And then again, It just shut down like 4-5 hours into the session. I figured then I had to replace the power supply... Then before i went to replace it this is really when it started messing up. It would start up and run for like 10 min. then five... So I replaced the power supply! After replacing it, It now still acts up! It runs for a mear 5 seconds and then cuts off. Every time... I have checked the heat sink and i applied the thermal stuff on there correctly, made sure the heat sink was applied correctly, made sure that there are no plugs that have come out, I have checked and over checked it all over. If anyone would please help me with this. I am in a desporate need for some help! Thanks Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

So i messed with the cord in the back

Maybe your cord is bad, it happens. Try replacing the cord and see if that helps.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

I don't think the cord would cause this, a cord with 110V making and breaking connection under a load is going to make some noises if not smoke. It does sound like a heat issue which you have already looked at, what do the temperatures look like?

There are two other things that you should do with a fresh build, defrag the hdd after installing it as the installation leaves lots of fragmented spaces, and clear the CMOS. I don't believe defragging is going to make any changes in your situation, but clearing the CMOS may.

btw...welcome to BC.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

If you can get the machine to stay conscious long enough, look at the event viewer for any errors/warnings.

#5 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

do you have a cpu fan and heat gel on it.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#6 JustinDSE

JustinDSE

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

Would it be a safe bet to assume you are running Windows XP? Ya see Windows XP doesn't have blue screens (yes that is one of it's features) because the smarties at M$ decided to just restart the PC and log the problem instead of just displaying it. To disable Automaticaly restart on error; Right click My computer, click the advanced tab, click startup and recovery, un-tick Automatically restart. Now you should receive a BSOD with a stop code that will help a lot.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling this is what is happening, it is blue screening but you don't see it cause it restarts the PC about 1/2 a second after the BSOD. Thanks M$.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users