Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire E700 With Xp, Upgrading To Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

currently the Aspire E700 has XP Media Center Edition and i'm wanting to upgrade it to Vista Home Premium....i've come for help here since Acer won't support me even though the system is Vista Capable....

Now for a start Acer Tech support won't tell me how to burn the recovery discs that are on the hidden partion on the hardrive and told me that if i upgraded to Vista they would be useless anyway because Vista Upgrade (or full clean install) would delete it and the discs wouldn't work....

To go back to previous windows i would need to do a ghost image of it so i can use the old windows if needed......after instaling vista i would need to do a ghost image also so i wouldn't have the activation problem so that would be done.....

What is a good Ghost image maker and which are the simplest to use in creating and restoring?

Is Vista Upgrade easy to install your self?

do you think it would be best if i took it to a computer store to do this (i know they can charge a bit but this process shouldn't take more than a day)?

Let me know the best way around this......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

1) A good Ghost imaging program is Acronis True Image (get v10 for Home as it's Vista compatible also). Another is Ghost by Symantec. There are freeware apps out there, but I haven't tried any so I can't recommend them.

2) Vista is much simpler than XP. Less time and fewer screens to contend with. Stay away from upgrading another OS - too many problems. But purchasing the upgrade version and clean installing it will be the easiest.

3) A computer store could do this faster and easier than you - but if you find a place that'll do it in a day I'd wonder because they weren't all that busy. Expect 3 or 4 days for an installation without issues - longer if there's problems with the drivers, etc.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:41 PM

i have a computure store who will image my hardrive for me for $40AUD which is fairly cheap.....

I can install Vista myself if its easier than XP as i have installed XP myself.....

I never upgraded from one OS to another.....

I have a Home Premium Upgrade DVD, i don't think there's an option for a clean install as it won't run unless its run from within XP (i have Media Center) as i have read.....

I thought it would be simple just to Install Vista from XP so your Apps stay there.....why does this have problems?

After installing vista and activated, and you say version 10 is Vista compatible, doing an image with Vista....will that save the activation problem if somereason i get a virus, or hardrive dies?

Edited by Izzy, 26 March 2007 - 10:09 PM.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:18 AM

Acronis True Image 10 Home,
I have a copy though would be good if i second hardrive.....so maybe the computer shop be my best option although i'm unsure how i get the image though...like they do the image but how is it given to me...anyway i'll find out soon enough....

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:28 AM

If they'll do it fast for you that may be an option - but make sure that the image is verified and then test it on your system to make sure that the image actually will work if reinstalled.

If you've installed XP, then Vista will be a breeze.

During the setup it should offer you an option to upgrade your PC or to do a clean install. I'd select the clean install if I were you. If Vista doesn't recognize all the settings on all the apps, it only takes one bad setting to slip through in order to create a Frankenstein-like creature (quoted from the book "Windows Secrets"). You can install your apps afterwards and will have less likelihood of having a monster on your hands.

It won't cost much more for you to get another hard drive for ATI Home. It'll save all your info (including the activation stuff) so it'll be a good choice to run it on the Vista installation also (something that I've got to do :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

a thought i had i'm unclear if this would work....

I've done this once with XP, Phone Activation, i know its a neusense pushing dozens of buttons, but they give you numbers, and letters in return to type in which activates Windows, if i wrote this down and reinstaled would that same code Activate windows again?
(Also wondering if this works for Office 2007 too)

I got a good answere from McAfee, all 2007 products are compatible with Vista, but at this time 32 bit only.

Edited by Izzy, 27 March 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

my image is done at the computer store for $32 AUD they will kepp it a week so i have that time if i come into problems to take it back and restore to XP if al goes well they delete it, unfortunately it was too big for a DVD so it can't be kept unless i have a hardrive they can put it on....so i'm ready for installing Vista

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

I'm unsure about how the activation code thingie works so I can't give any suggestions there.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:20 AM

well i'm running Vista, 1hr and a half to install and ready to use, i heard some people were using it within 30-40 minutes......would depend on systems.

Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 1GB Ram and 256mb Graphics...

Aero runs perfect, though default theme installed was the non aero version.

Vista looks like a Mac gone wrong. Windows Mail is awful to look at.

Boot up time is longer from XP but i suppose its normal because it has more to load.

I'm running un-activated so the program doesn't become useless if it were to fail on me, but at this point i think i'm pretty well right. I'm happy with performance.

Although this Aero theme isn't all that wonderful as they made out.

Having the latest windows isn't all that wonderful but i was sick of XP after having it for 5 years......so a change is good for me...though i'd love a mac.

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:46 PM

A stupid vista thing Shut Down or Log off at first you don't know where it is, i thought it was the button that looks like the old off button which actually puts the pc in low power unfortunately i can't resume once in that mode i have to pull the plug out the socket for 30 seconds then i can reboot, so the Shut Down etc is that hard to see arrow on the right which brings a menue up......what were they thinking there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users