Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millse72

millse72

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hi-

Currently I have a Toshiba Satellite M65 series (DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300 (266 MHz)

I am looking to upgrade my Ram from 512mb to 2 gb...???

First of all, would it be worth upgradeing to 2 gb or is that a too much for my laptop (Not too much, but would be worth the spending the money for the amount of improvement)
I had used /www.crucial.com/ to determine how much I currently have and how much I could hold.

Or

Should I just get another stick of 512 and be happy with 1 gb
Thanks
~Eric

BTW- I play alot of online games and do video editing

Edited by millse72, 25 March 2007 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

Gaming and video editing? Then by all means, upgrade to 2 Gb RAM. You'll see a nice boost in performance, but not necessarily an improvement in graphics mind you, that requires a new video card pretty much.

Being a graphic designer, I can tell you that RAM goes a long way.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

I don't do much in the way of graphics, but I put 1gig in my laptop and the speed of the startup was really noticeable, and every thing worked better, it seems. If you are going to run Vista, I hear 2 gig is what you should have. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

Ya laptops graphics are not upgradeable, so if you need better graphics, you'll have to use something else.

Ram helps a lot though. I just went from 512 to 1gb and notice a big improvement with everything including games, doing more things at once, and even my computer turns on faster!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 D beau

D beau

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

I don't do much in the way of graphics, but I put 1gig in my laptop and the speed of the startup was really noticeable, and every thing worked better, it seems. If you are going to run Vista, I hear 2 gig is what you should have. :thumbsup:

yeah it will run on a system with 512 MB of RAM, even though Microsoft recommends 1gig, id always go with double what they recommend

#6 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

RAM helps your computer HEAPS! It means it can put more in memory and not use virtual memory which is ssssooooo slow. Put that RAM in! :thumbsup: I also noticed you do video editing. I make movies sometimes and yes you 100% need heaps of RAM and HDD space. :flowers:

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 26 March 2007 - 05:44 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users