Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A New Soundcard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TRISTEN

TRISTEN

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

Hello.

I am suppossed to get a new sound card but i have a couple questions if anyone would be so nice as to help.

What kind of soundcard am i supposed to get i have been looking them up and there is all kinds of options i

have windows ME.

Should i put it in myself or do i have someone else do it?

I read about external soundcards that you plug into a usb slot thing also so which would be better cheaper

which one is more worth it.

if there is anything you can tell me its much appreciated

Gracias

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hello

There are three types of sound card...

1 Laptop (pcimcia)
2 desktop (pci)
3 desktop (usb)

The first thing you need to do is see if you have a free PCI slot or USB hole spare for your desktop. you can get either, they are both as good as each other. if you are looking for ease of instalation, then the USB model would be better.
Regarding price, I have a Creative sound card, it cost me 35 out of PC world and is quite respectable. it is all down to preference, I chose the PCI one so it would be out of the way.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

nigglesnush85 much thanks i do have space and i was thinkin that the usb

would be way easier as im computer stupid.... jus didnt want to get it and

then have it suck.

Mucho Gracias

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

The internal (PCI) would be the best choice, if you're on a desktop. It's not hard at all to install it. Just open your case, place the card into its slot, all the way in, and then close up your computer. Most of your time spent will be opening and closing your computer.

But either way,,, whatever works best for you.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

The key is making sure the card is seated firmly in the pci slot. The first time I replaced a sound card and had no sound, that was the problem. A simple push on the card solved the problem. It's very easy to install one yourself-why pay someone else to do something you can do. I encourage you to give it a try.

**stepping on my soapbox to say this-while you have the case open, blow out the dust from inside the case.
Dust can make the chips inside your computer run hotter and also clog cooling vents. At least once a month UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER FROM THE POWER SOURCE, open the case, and blow out the dust. Do not wipe it with a rag; use either an aerosol can of compressed air OR a vacuum cleaner with the hose on the blower (NOT the suction) if you have one, but whichever method you use, DO NOT LET ANYTHING ACTUALLY TOUCH THE CABLES, MOTHERBOARD, ETC.
stepping off my soapbox now**

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

If you decide to put one in yourself, don't forget to unplug the computer first, and ground yourself to the case so you don't zaap the components inside with static electricity... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 TRISTEN

TRISTEN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Walkman Queen-Evie Wildabeast Thank You Mucho. Maybe i will try n see if

its loose or blow off tha dust. I might have my nephew try to put in a new one

if that dont work. And if it doesnt work out right or somethin ill go wit an

external. I WILL BE SURE NOT TO ZAP IT. haha Soapbox that made me laff.

Thanks for tha help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users