Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im Really Worried I Might Have A Keylogger!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phuntsok

Phuntsok

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Well i just recently downloaded a torrent and i did some more research on it and i found some people saying it might have a virus or something. I thought it was ok because the only files in the torrent were jpegs, html files,and a notepad file but then i recently found out that you can actually put keyloggers into these type of files. I just recently wiped my computer and redownloaded everything and i dont want to do it again. Im scared that if i have the keylogger that the person might be able to steal alot of personal information and maybe credit card numbers and etc. This is the file i downloaded and i would appreciate it alot if someone could maybe scan it for any keyloggers,viruses,trojans, or anything dangerous(I opened every file in that torrent).

thepiratebay.org/tor/3604656/Brian_Kopp_s_Guide_LVL_70

//Mod edit to modify hot link above to protect others.//

Edited by KoanYorel, 25 March 2007 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

I'll check it out for you.

[Added Info]
I'm back.... I checked it out and ran quite a few scans on it, and it seems ok. I have programs on standby, just incase, and.. at the same time, I have a computer specifically designed to download malicious files/programs, .. and I have all the tools you'd want and need.

But anyway, I've checked it out, and yes, you can do malicious harm to computers with files of those types. But as I will say now, if an image file is actually that image file, from what I've learned, you can't alter in ways to infect people. If anyone knows anything different about .gif, .mpg files,, let me know... but in the meantime I'll catch up on my research on new attacks and such.

The same goes for .htm files, but in the opposite way. Of course you can embed infections into those files, but if you have the scanning and protections you need on your computer, you won't have to worry about those file types either. And if you're ever in doubt about files of that type, or any kind..... your best defense against any major damage is to disconnect you internet cable from your computer. With that said, you need to already have the protection software you need, so you can install/load them up. Because when @$%&^% hits the fan.... don't even think about getting online. That's your worse mistake.

Now... for the other info....... from what I saw on that site, this is what they had to say about that .torrent.

This is the Brian Kopp's new LVL 70 guide. He's been bullying websites to take it down lately, so why not put it up in even more places?

-Gnomish Acquisition

With that said... the first point is that he should have never made it available in the first place. It's fair game now.

The next point is that if you're going to be downloading .torrent files, you better know what you're doing because you're asking for trouble if you don't know what you're doing. There are plenty of sources that don't want their stuff floating around on torrent sites, and many of them create .torrent files just for the sole purpose of infecting your computers. And I'm talking about companies that do it and/or pay others to do it for them.

And if you're not using the right torrent programs, ip blocking softwares, you're just as good as had.

Since you're into downloading .torrent files, take it from me.. ok?, and invest your time into every possible FREE protection you can download for files that you download.

Tip:
NEVER, EVER, NEVER download a FREE program from a torrent site. It's probably spiked with something. You can easily go to the source web site and get it, problem FREE.

I've been torrenting for years now.. and I don't believe there is much about the whole concept and procedures that I don't know about. :flowers:

And you better stay away from those programs that find torrents for you like.. iMesh, War3z, KazaA,, etc... those programs will get you infected, just by installing them. Even Limewire, iTunes... and a host of other bogus programs.

So... there you have it. It's all good. I've tested it all. Show BleepingComputer how much you appreciate the help you've received.

Protect yourself, and protect your computer.

And my last bit of advice on this,... is this............ Don't be torrenting on the same computer that has you real information on it. Well duuuhhhhhhhh!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Walkman, 25 March 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#3 Phuntsok

Phuntsok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

Ok thanks alot man, I deleted the file a while ago but i kind of want it still. So is it safe to redownload and use?

What torrent program do you reccomend? My brother got me using torrents and im currently using Azureus.

Also the only protection i have right now is Windows Firewall and Trial Norton Antivirus. Is there anything else you can reccomend? Im looking for just 1 Program(thats simple hopefully) that can scan for all dangerous things(even keyloggers).

I dont use torrents that much. Only when i cant find it on any other websites. I would get another computer for just downloading/torrenting but my moneys kind of tight right now. Anyway i appreciate all the help you gave me, Feels like a big weight lifted off my back. Thanks alot!

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:25 AM

Let me give my 2 cts here. Azeurus is ok as long as you practise safe downloading ( more or less similar to that other safe thing). Allways check any downloaded files with antivirus and anti spyware. It sounds crazy but as Walkman told you it is a crazy world out there and one could imagine that companies are not thrilled that their products are made available freely..
Better be safe than sorry.. Take a peek in our HiJackThis forum to say what can happen to your computer if you do not take propper caution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users