Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu, Memory And Ram

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Minddoctor

Minddoctor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Being in a third world country it is very easy to be ripped off. When I returned from Iraq, as a volunteer medical doctor, five different keyboards/mouses would not work. My 1.80GHz. Intel Pentium 4, 8 kilobyte primary memory cache and 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache was around five years old.

Donated money was used to fly a Toshiba/Microsoft authorized tech. 450KM to my camp site. I had a complete profile of my system with "Belarc Advisor". The authorized tech., was paid to install Intel Pentium 4 upto date and an two new memory chips of 256MB in slot one and two. The tech., left before I could install all of my critical updates, firewall, etc. etc. When I was able to run "Belarc", I saw the new profile that I was given 800MHz. IDTPentium II 128 kilobyte primary memory cache 64 kilobyte secondary memory cahce. I do have 256MB memory installed in slots one and two.

My HDD is 40.05Gigabytes and I have 30.12 free space on the HDD.

I have ten program in my system tray that load on boot. I have 35 running process showing in my CPU running with 450 Subprocess. My CPU always runs at 2%, unless I open a program and then the CPU may jump to 100% while program loads and drops back down to 2%.

I can say that all of the five keyboards and mouses work 100% and my programs load. Something that I was not able to do before.

I understand, RAM, CPU and Memory. (Letīs say I think). When I use a Windows software program to perform an inventory of my entire system the memory pie shows that I have only 21% free memory.

Here is where the confusion comes into play as my pc feels sluggish. (I have state of the art antivirus from China, that is not sold to the general public, excellent spyware programs and zonealarm firewall. My pc is required to be 100% clean and free of trojans, spyware, adware and malware. (I am always 100% clean).

On boot all programs load within 2 mins. Some individual program take 1min., or longer to open and some open really quick.

Being the only doctor for over 32,000 Indians, I am always under pressure for time.

I donīt really trust the people in third world countries. And donated money is audited and used for medical supplies, medicines, and my own travel. Really not to be used for hardware/software. (I use free or donated software).

Sorry for the long background details. Expert opinion, should I increase my memory chips as I have only 21% free memory available for use. (Will I see any difference). Really want to avoid P4 motherboard plus processor as it is expensive and you canīt trust the techs. here. Plus a real pain to reinstall all of Windows critical updates and their unstable WGA tool that validates my Windows XP Pro.

Your advice is apprciated in advance.

Thanks,

Minddoctor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

Having more RAM would greatly improve your systems performance, if you download this tool cpuz http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php you can find out the model of RAM ie PC2700 and get some from online retailers.

If money is an issue, it is possible to improve performance for example increasing the page file for the system.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hey Doc.
It sound like a software conflict to me. I am running XP Pro on a P-III 500mhz and 768mb of RAM without a problem. 512mb of RAM and a P-III 800mhz is not good for gaming but for internet and basic computering you should be find. Many programs want to load into memory as soon as you start your computer. This is not always necessary.
Could list or post a screen capture of the processes that are currently running on your computer. It may be as simple as shutting off several programs and starting them when you need them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users