Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Nt Operating System

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DAVE460523

DAVE460523

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

I PURCHASED A LOT OF EIDE HARD DRIVES DUE TO BE INSTALLED IN A MASS STORAGE UNIT I AM BUILDING. THE OPERATING SYSTEM IN THIS STORAGE IS TO BE 2000 SERVER. ALL ARE FORMATTED WITH NT. THE 2000 SERVER INSTALLATION DISC IS UNABLE TO OVERRIDE NT, THEREFOR I CANNOT FORMAT THESE DISCS. BEEN THROUGH THE SETUP ROUTINE SEVERAL TIMES WITH NO LUCK. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Hello Dave, and welcome to BleepingComputer.
Have you tried booting from the W2k CD and deleting the partition and then formatting the drives?
There is a hard drive utility I use and like that will do this for you. Digital Dolly 1.0. It boots to a RAM drive so you do not even need an OS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 DAVE460523

DAVE460523
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

w2k will not boot over nt. tried to install on friend's system - prompt said as much. this drive i am trying to load with w2k server has two nt operating systems on it. tried to use the download mentioned in your response - no luck - would not boot. downloaded it to empty drive, burned it to cd, loaded it into cd drive and started system. went through initialization, then to choice of nt systems. am i not doing somethin ?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

One you have boot to the CD you should be able to go to the partition management utility and simply delete the partition then create a partition (NTFS format) and format the drive.
Have you tried this in the Disk Management, in the Administrative Tools?

#5 DAVE460523

DAVE460523
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

EVERYTHING IS WORKING NOW. WENT THROUGH THE STANDARD FORMAT OF INSTALLING THE SYSTEM, TWICE BEFORE, WHEN FIRST REBOOT OCCURS, MESSAGE READ"PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD", NO KEYS PRESSED, SYSTEM WENT TO ALREADY INSTALLED NT'S. THIS TIME AROUND, IT DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Nice to see it worked out. Welcome to BC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users