Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D Drive Storage/backup Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flycatcher

flycatcher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

My brand new laptop HP Pavilion dv9208 already has a storeage problem. The D drive has 6.59 GB of storeage space but ihas already used up 95% of it leaving me only 627MB of space left. Not even enough to do a backup. The space is being used up by the HP recovery. I did make a recovery disc. When I look at the D Drive properties I see that the "compress this drive to save disc space" box is not checked. My question; should I compress this drive? Will it really help save space and if not can I un-compress it? I've never messed with the D Drive before because I've always thought it was hallowed ground. Any suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

Do Not, I repeat do not mess with the D drive on the HP this is your recovery partition, and contains the first back up of all your original software. the second back up is on the disks that you made. There should be an instruction phamplet that came with the laptop on how to use this partition.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 flycatcher

flycatcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

Yes I see what your saying, but is it safe to compress it?

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

There's really no need to, FC.

If you've created the proper CD/DVD of that recovery partition, then you could completely delete all of the data and use that 6.5G drive D: for other data.

The manual that came with your HP should explain both how to make that "recovery" CD/DVD and how to recover, if you will, that drive space.

Edited by JohnWho, 25 March 2007 - 02:14 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

There is no problem with your D: drive - it's designed to be this way. As others have said, leave it along - you'll appreciate this advice if you have to restore the PC at some time in the future (and 6.6 gB is a piddling amount of space on todays hard drives.

If you're still strapped for space, I'd suggest getting either a larger drive for your PC, or getting an external drive to store stuff on.

Edited by usasma, 25 March 2007 - 04:47 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

Yes, Leave it alone unless you have a copy of an OS disc, like Windows XP or Vista. I personally format both drives, install my OS, partition them together, and run one drive. I never use the OS that the store gives to me, and I never use the back up partition that they give me either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users