Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Operating System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shortyaznkid_*

Guest_Shortyaznkid_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:05 AM

I bought a HP Desktop with a OS of Windows Vista. Is there any way i can change the OS to Windows XP?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 25 March 2007 - 08:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

I don't know anything about Vista, but it seems if you got a stand alone version of XP, you could put in your drive like normal, and boot off of it. Then go through the format and install options...
but I'm just guessing. And if you can, you still have to register and activate it with Micro$oft.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

I bought a HP Desktop with a OS of Windows Vista. Is there any way i can change the OS to Windows XP?

If you own a copy of XP, you certainly can do as suggested.

Just curious -

why do you want to do this?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

Another question

Have you made the restore disks yet?

HP has a restore partition, and does not come with recovery disks.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

I don't know for sure if you can install XP over Vista....XP won't let you install over a "newer" version of XP...you might have to wipe the drive (including any partions, which you might want to back up as oldf@rt had said by making recovery/restore disks). Once you wipe the drive, insert your XP disc and install it as normal. You'll have WinXP installed and Vista will still be available on the restore CD's that you created in case you ever want to jump up to Vista.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Amber Rein

Amber Rein

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

Most def MAKE YOUR RESTORE DISCS FIRST!!! then go online and make sure there are XP drivers for all the hardware in your machine. I've come across it twice now with people wanting me to wipe out Vista and then put XP on it and we ended up holding on to one lady's computer for almost 2 months waiting on drivers to be available because she refused to go to Vista.

As for the install you are going to have to disable the SATA and enable the EIDE function, something I learned a couple months ago about HP's. It wont work most of the time if you don't do this, and don't worry it changes back over to SATA once XP is installed.

If all fails toss the HP :flowers: and get a Gateway :thumbsup:

Need anymore help just email me or something.

Laterz,
Amber Rein

Geek Squad CIA Precinct 272

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:55 AM

Dont disable the sata boot:

download the SATA drivers and create a driver floppy.

Boot from the XP cd, press the F6 key before xp setup starts(first two seconds after the bios splash is gone), make sure that you have a usb floppy drive, place the driver disk in the floppy when XP setup asks for the disk, hit enter, and xp setup will find the drivers on the floppy setup should continue as normal.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users