Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Files After Doing System Recovery...please Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stacynbee

stacynbee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hello, I did a windows system recovery on my Microsoft Windows XP media Center Edition 2005 Computer, and lost all my files after this recovery. The files are still in the computer, but I cannot find the files anywhere in the computer. Please help!! Thank You!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

Well the problem with system restore, it takes you back to that date. I do not believe it will edit those files or not. Might want to check your documents and settings.

To accomplish this go to:

c:\Documents and Settings\(Your user name here) \(users name) Documents (or sometimes just Documents).

Where are all the files your looking for used to be?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

Stacy, to avoid confusion did you do system recovery (reinstalling OS/repairing an installation) or a system restore which takes your computer back to an earlier time? Personally, I think you did the recovery, but Gavin mentioned system restore so I have to ask you to clarify.

Have you done a search for your files? You might be able to get to them that way.

#4 stacynbee

stacynbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the reply!!!

To clarify everything, I did a system recovery, and not a system restore nor a destructive recovery. It said that I wouldn't lose any data, but would only have to reinstall all the programs. After doing the system recovery, I couldn't access or find any of my data folders, such as pictures, movies, and musics. Despite this, when right clicking on the C Drive, under properties, it still says I used 134 GB out of 160 GB. In seeing this I believe that my data files are still somewhere lost in the computer, but is there any way I can locate and get these files back?

One more thing, my programs were still there but just needed to be reinstalled.

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:11 AM

If you use the built in search tool, can you find any of your documents. Maybe at least a picture/document file that seems familiar?

Gavin Seabrook

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:37 AM

Go to START SEARCH klick any file. There at the bottom you can set a date. Set the date prior to when you did the system restore and you should be good to go...

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

I'm not familiar with your OS, but you should have a SEARCH function. (This is listed in the Start Menu using XP Pro). Open Search, type in the name of a file OR the type of file such as .jpg, .mp, etc. Start the search.
When the results are shown, try right clicking on one of your files, if you see Open Folder Containing or something similar, choose that option. When the folder opens, you will see the entire contents of that folder, which you can leave there or move to somewhere else. What you are experiencing now happened to me several years ago, this is how I found everything. Good luck-let us know what you did and how it turns out.

#8 jonni67

jonni67

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

Hi Stacy, I just want to ask, do you have you Windows XP disk? Regards, jonni67

#9 stacynbee

stacynbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the Replies!!!

Actually, I'm not sure if i Have an Xp disc. I just don't know why the computer would stil have our files and datas, but somewhere hidden. Any Ideas to help.?? Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users