Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MMDiag.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

I use Windows XP and when I shut Windows down, an error message will tell me that a program called MMDiag.exe failed to initialize. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

MMDiag.exe is used by MusicMatch Jukebox.

Could you post the exact error message.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

tofubeas,

I used google.
That usually means I'll get a bunch of information I'd rather not see.
Better than no information, I guess.
First link tells me it is music match's logging & tracing manager file.
Sounds like one I'd just as soon do without, honestly.
http://www.anti-spy.info/process/mmdiag.exe.html

Since I am used to facing page after page of google results that usually lead to forums like this, I found that the link on the first page wasn't so bad.

Only 14 results.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Logging%...ng%20manager%22

When you click the word "cache" then all places that the original search terms are appear in highlight. Easier to scroll through all you will find. In this case the terms were: MMdiag.exe.

One result is back to here.
Another is to that page I linked from.

So, we're down to an even dozen.
This one looked promising... maybe an answer at an archived Tech Support Guy Forum:
http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:U2QKK...anager%22&hl=en[/URL]

The advice, which was never followed apparently,
was to open the task manager and identify what was running in the processes tab.
That would give the Moderator there some clues as to exactly what is loading after you get the message.

Another result was from a log report that Ad-Aware 1.05 SE produced on Dec 23rd, 2004.

#:51 [mmdiag.exe]
FilePath : C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\
ProcessID : 3792
ThreadCreationTime : 12-23-2004 8:54:07 PM
BasePriority : Normal
FileVersion : 9.00.0156
ProductVersion : 9.00.0156
ProductName : Musicmatch Jukebox
CompanyName : Musicmatch, Inc.
FileDescription : Logging and tracing manager
InternalName : MMTraceExe
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Musicmatch 1998-2004
LegalTrademarks :
OriginalFilename : MMTraceExe.EXE

It was #51 of 53 listed in that report.
A HJT log followed.
http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:cCbSg...anager%22&hl=en

Some very good advice about both malware and optional resource hog files running on that guy's computer was posted, but again no further action.

Advice given regarding the Data Mining tracking cookie file you can't get to load on boot initialization was given at another forum.

It went kinda like this:

1st guy:
Alright, I know what you mean, those pesky DM cookies ARE stupid. They are to be expected though considering you are allowing cookies. They are pretty much unpreventable in that situation. Either Disallow the cookies again or just run AdAware/Spybot every once in a while. I can't say that these AREN'T harmful, because they do track where you've been and such, but they won't do any permanent damage to your machine.

Hope That Helps!!!

2nd guy:
So, there's no way you know of to allow cookies that make bbs browsing easier but block the data mining cookies?

1st guy:
So, there's no way you know of to allow cookies that make bbs browsing easier but block the data mining cookies?

2nd guy:
Okay, Alright, I know what you're trying to do now, Simply click
Tools>Internet Options
At the top of your Internet Explorer Window,
Hit the Privacy Tab
Where it says:
Web Sites
To override cookie handling for individual websites..........
You have to click the edit Button
When the screen pops up and has an area where you type in an individual website, put in your BBS Website(s) and hit allow after each one.

1st guy:
I guess what I'm trying to differentiate is the data miner cookies from the cookies that just help you to not have to log back in and show you what you've read when you've been away and then come back to the site.

Does that make any sense?

2nd guy:
Yes, but unfortunately I don't think that's possible. Someone more experienced than I might know how though. If you have'nt already I would suggest you use the Immunize feature in Spybot, it will block most bad cookies.

There is more, but it's there, about that.
http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:Y1WIs...anager%22&hl=en

My conclusion is that a file I wouldn't particularly want
or one that isn't required of a program that I have on my machine
is failing to launch properly.
No sweat.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode by tapping F8 until
the DOS screen appears. Yes. Use the up arrow to choose safe mode. Hit enter. OK.

From the safe mode desktop:
Search for, locate and delete file(s) or folder(s)
Do not delete the main folders C:\WINDOWS or C:\Program Files.
To find them use: Start-->Search-->select "all files & folders"-->select "more advanced options"-->
check search "system folders", "hidden files & folders" & "sub-folders". Enter the filename. Hit "search".

Or simply navigate to the appropriate folder, right-click-->delete individual file(s) or folder(s).

Delete manually:
mmdiag.exe

Delete Temp Files
Start-->Run-->type in: %temp% and press the ok button.
This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses.
Delete all files and folders found in the temp folder.
If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others.
Doing this in Safe Mode you should be able to delete all the files.

Reboot your computer to go back to normal mode.
Delete Temporary Internet Files & reset your homepage.
Start-->Internet Explorer-->Tools-->Internet Options-->General
Click Delete Files... and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button.
This may take quite a while, but when it is done your Temporary Internet Files will be deleted.

See if that helps.

What have you got to lose?

Edited by phawgg, 09 January 2005 - 09:19 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users