Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Use "house Call" Because Of Kernel Error.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 science

science

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

Hello,

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area, but I figured this is pretty close.

My computer is in a bad state and I have begun the procedures required before posting a Hackthis log in the forums. My original post is entitled "Windows Firewall/System Restore is Missing". I can't post the link here, because my "paste" option with the keyboard and with right clicking is no longer working at this time.

I only have the option to use Firefox at this time, as my IE 7 is not working at all (it does come up, but only as a quick flash, then it's gone.) According to the Malware starting-out forum, I should use House Call.

I am currently stuck in the House Call procedures; I just keep getting an error about HC not being able to use a kernel, and that I should close the window and browser, delete the HC folder in the C drive and try again.

I do not have an option to select which kernel to use. There is a statement on the page that says "You can select the relevant kernel for your system here". However, there is not a link nor a button there to press.

It also says you can go back to the initial screen and click a box that says "I want to select a different kernel." However, this information I haven't found in the pages and troubleshooting pages that I've browsed. It also doesn't specify what the initial screen is. If it's the first screen in the House Call "scan pc" site page, there isn't anything there, nor at the home page of the site.

So how do I select a different kernel? Is there a different way to do it? Is the step with House Call really important to the process? The next step under the House Call step on the bleeping, malware start-page says to scan the system with your own antivirus software. I have avast! Antivirus.

I actually did a scan this morning. There are about 200 .ini and registry files it can't scan because it says it's protected. It also found a "decompression bomb" in one of my files, however, it says it's unable to quarentine or delete it.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really glad I found this site. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

this is just a shot in the dark. it's the europeon link to trendmicro.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

Are you sure it said to use a different kernel and not core?

If you are having to use FireFox to run the scan you have to use the Java core.

HouseCall 6.5 has two independent Core Engines to choose from:

1. The ActiveX Core Engine: to use this engine, please adjust here the IE browser’s Security level to Medium at least and be sure that signed ActiveX objects are enabled.
2. The Java VM Core Engine- to use this engine, please install the Java VM from www.java.com.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

You have to use IE to scan with the ActiveX core/controls. The other online scanners in the prep guide are ActiveX based so have to be run by IE.

If you are unsuccessful running any of the steps in the prep guide, skip it and try the next. Infections can block those scanners from running. You need to get your log posted is the most important thing.

I looked at your other thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/85874/windows-firewallsystem-restore-is-missing/ and I gotta tell ya, it doesn't look good. Sounds to me like you are heavily infected--there are some purely evil WOW infections based out of China that turn your PC into toast. One of our best malware removers has told me she avoids the infection because of what it does to your system--which is rather bizarre--and the best thing is a reformat.

This may not be the case with you, but get that log posted and let us check it out to be sure.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 science

science
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

Thanks you guys, I will skip the step. I have been unable to use IE at all, so I'm just stuck there.

I'll go on and do the regular scan with avast now.

Thank you so much. I will also look into the links you guys have provided here.

:thumbsup:

edit: Actually, I'm wondering about the crazy China-infections you mentioned. Is there any way to actually avoid getting the infection? ((lol, other than not playing WoW?))

Edited by science, 25 March 2007 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users