Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitors just a few questions not help doing it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:48 PM

I want to know what is all this about dual monitors? :trumpet:

I see more and more people saying it will help them or how to do it. I know how to do it you can use a splitter to make one port into two or buy a double video out video card.

But what I cant get is what is the point? Will you see something more with two monitors? If you use a splitter or the dual port video card on both monitors you will only see the same thing right? :thumbsup:

Im just curious of whats the whole idea of it. I know a few of you use dual monitors here so please fill me in.

I see my LCD on my laptop in daydreams after being there a while so would 2 remove the eye stress or add to it? :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:42 PM

Perhaps I can help clear up the confusion on this matter.

When someone wants dual (or really any number considered "multi") monitors, they fall into 2 categories: they want to display the same thing on different displays or they want to increase their screen space.

Displaying the same information on any number of monitors can be quite useful for presentations. Commonly used for laptops hooked into a projector to show a group of people. Without that usage, it would be uncomfortable for all to be gathered in a small space (in front of a small screen). In this situation a video splitter would be ideal, but may be limited on only showing the exact same information on all displays.

The most popular reason someone wants dual monitors is have more screen space without having to purchase another computer setup. By having many different possibilities such as watching a movie full-screen on one monitor while surfing the internet on another (I do this often), you open up a new way to multi-task. In reality, the possibilities are as endless as the amount of RAM and the size of your video card. I have included a few links from some old screen shots to show what I am talking about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hard to believe that these are taken on the same computer using (2)15" monitors. I can move any window around to either monitor, and even set defaults on specific applications to open on certain monitors.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here. Sometime tomorrow, I will post a more current shot. Earlier, I had IE, Opera, and Firefox all open at the same time, along with other apps sitting in the (extended) taskbar waiting to be restored.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:58 PM

Wow I still dont understand fully......Is there a program that lets you display something on one monitor and do something else on the other?

When you get time lets talk on this under this topic. Maybe we can make it so good and informative it becomes a sticky?

I may want two LCD monitors for my NEW pc one day? But first I want to understand how on earth you did that.

What I see is you are running two monitors and how come they both dont show the same thing I dont get it.

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:58 PM

hello, the point of two monitors in my case is that, when programming ( i tend to use Visual Studio.Net ) i can code and debug on one monitor and have the form view on the other. I also use one monitor to do stuff on the web and keep whatever i'm working on on the other. Mainly i do this because i have a short attention span :thumbsup: hehe... Well thats my reason....
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:25 AM

Is there a program that lets you display something on one monitor and do something else on the other?

Yes there is, but it is in the drivers and to an extend embedded in Windows. I have new menus when I right-click the desktop as shown on the screen shot.

Posted Image

When you get time lets talk on this under this topic. Maybe we can make it so good and informative it becomes a sticky?

We can stay in this topic about it. Maybe it needs to be moved to the hardware forum though. What do you think?

What I see is you are running two monitors and how come they both dont show the same thing I dont get it.

The reason why I do not have the same thing on both monitors is because I have it set for increasing my screen space. That option is called mirroring and I can do it, but it does not serve my purpose. It can be done though.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:31 AM

Ok well you might have better judgement than me on where we should move this or keep it here. Im just thinking im not alone about this. I know I cant be.

Just to say I have to go now for a while but how would I set something like this up if I wanted to?

I get a good video card. I figure my new pc im planning on building is going to have a either 128mb or 200+odd number and TV out. Would I be best to get dual ports?

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:38 AM

We can stay in this topic about it. Maybe it needs to be moved to the hardware forum though. What do you think?

I think so. :thumbsup: I'm going to move it. It would reach the right audience there.
Posted Image

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:45 AM

I think so. :inlove: I'm going to move it. It would reach the right audience there.

We have an audience :trumpet: ? I better be on my best behavior :thumbsup:

Seriously, thanks Scarlett for the move.

Just to say I have to go now for a while but how would I set something like this up if I wanted to?

I get a good video card. I figure my new pc im planning on building is going to have a either 128mb or 200+odd number and TV out. Would I be best to get dual ports?

Finding a 128 or 256MB video card with dual outputs would be the first step. After you install it, plug in the monitors, and restart the computer, then it is just a matter of clicking a few menus and such. You could even ask for help on the set up here :flowers:

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:04 AM

Thanks!

Still seems a little crazy but it does add more desktop space!

I wanted to do this with my new pc. I have my old desktop pentium 2 350mhz bla bla nothing else to tell in my big didning room in a hole!

Its a old closet that was wide enough to add a shelf above the pc and the 15 inch monitor(13 viewable) and the tower on top of a desk below.

Bad part is the pc is right next to a dual air return for my houses AC/heater.

Now when this thing comes on it will bring that air right by you and suck your papers off your desk. But it also brings by dust and ive already went through one fan in the back of the thing.

This pc is slow slow slow. Now to my point. I watched several people here build a pc and ive been wanting for a while now.

Just the money and time to build it. But I think im getting closer to being ready.

I had a idea to take our pc into our living room when I hear you could buy a external or internal TV tuner thing for your pc to watch TV on it.

I have a 19 inch or 18 inch tv in my living room and that is not very nice. I had the idea to buy a 21 inch pc monitor and use it for a tv and a computer!

But what if somebody else wanted to use the computer while the other person wanted to watch tv in the living room?

That question there killed the idea almost.

Do you think if I get a dual monitor card,2 monitor and a tv tuner card I can make my pc and tv idea work?

You know on one monitor a tv the other the pc.

For starters I went to Ebay(my fav place to shop for stuff cheap online next to new parts at newegg.com) And found a tv tuner card. So my guess Is a I plug this in and get a antenna install the software and I can watch tv on my pc right?

Here is the link to one I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5155076346&rd=1

Does that seem like a good one? Im new at this TV tuner thing so I dont know much about them. I dont know maybe you dont neither.

Then there is this one with a FM radio! I always wanted my pc to have a radio and never could get why they dont!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5155096722&rd=1

Thanks

As for a video card maybe you could suggest a few and later I will show you what Im looking at now. Something from ATI I think. Maybe the all in one wonder pro?Might cost to much even on ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users