Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making Folders Private

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amir2576

amir2576

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

Can i make my documents private like XP?

Edited by amir2576, 24 March 2007 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

make your question a little clearer are you running vista now ?say exactly what you want to do :huh:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 amir2576

amir2576
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

I'm using Vista(32).In XP user folders like my document can be private, so that other users do not have privileges to access them(If the partition is NTFS).But in Vista this option is not available.How can I do this?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:25 AM

From the Vista Help menu after searching for "make folders private" and then clicking on "Can I protect files or folders with a password"

Can I protect files or folders with a password?

No, you can't use a password to protect files and folders in Windows. However, some programs that run on Windows do allow you to protect individual files by using a password. For more information, check the Help for the program you are using.

There are other ways to protect your files and folders in Windows. You can encrypt your files, manually specify who can access the folders or files, or hide them. Choose your method based on how secure the folders or files need to be. Encrypting is the most secure, while hiding the folders is the least secure.

Note
The ability to encrypt files and folders is not available in Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium.

See also
What are permissions?
What is Encrypting File System (EFS)?

So, then I clicked on the EFS link and got this:

What is Encrypting File System (EFS)?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that allows you to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure.

Some key features of EFS:

Encryption is simple; just select a check box in the file or folder's properties to turn it on.

You have control over who can read the files.

Files are encrypted when you close them, but are automatically ready to use when you open them.

If you change your mind about having a file encrypted, clear the check box in the file's properties.

Note
EFS is not fully supported on Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. For those editions of Windows, if you have the encryption key or certificate, you can do the following:

Decrypt files by running Cipher.exe in the Command Prompt window (advanced users)

Modify an encrypted file

Copy an encrypted file as decrypted to a hard disk on your computer

Import EFS certificates and keys

Back up EFS certificates and keys by running Cipher.exe in the Command prompt window (advanced users)

See also
What is encryption?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 amir2576

amir2576
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

Thanks and i hope you always become successful

Thanks and i hope you always become successful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users