Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Creating A Home Network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 repotruck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have Clearwire(wireless internet) hooked to a LINKSYS WRT54GS wireless router. My desktop is using XP SP2 and a NETGEAR wireless usb. I just bought an older Toshiba laptop w/XP2 and a LINKSYS wireless notebook adapter. I want to use the laptop as a music and junk search computer, but would like to network the two computers. I get lost using the windows help because : 1. I am an idiot :trumpet: 2. none of the pictures look like my house :thumbsup: 3. I am a moron :flowers: 4. it's hard :inlove:
Does it matter that my land lord is hooked up to the router also. He is not wireless though.

Any help will be appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum and closed BBcode tag. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 March 2007 - 07:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

Sounds like you want to create a Workgroup!

Try this on both computers:

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties
This wil open the System Properties box
Click on the Computer Name tab
Click on the Change button
You can leave your computer name alone, if you want (unless both computers have the sme name, in that case change one)

Select the Workgroup box and type the name for your workgroup (this must be the same for both PC's!) For example "WORKGROUP" is the Windows default, but I'd change it to something more personal like "BATMAN" or "COWABUNGA".

Click OK twice on each machine and reoot them both.

Now you can go through each computer and select any folders and printers you wish to share by right-clicking on them and selecting "Sharing" or "Sharing and Security" and following the prompts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users