Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Customer Servicing In It Field

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

Not sure where to post this question, but it deals with interacting with end-users at work for us IT professionals.
How do you conduct yourself when you are asked questions that you don't know answers? There are enough end-users who confuse between magic and technology and it becomes difficult to deal with those type of users who always want more or something that technology can't provide. Do you ever encounter these types of users?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

gooky -

I've been involved in some level of personal computer support for over 20 years.

One important thing you need to both understand and impart to others is the fact that there is absolutely no one in the PC world that knows everything about PCs. Even the extremely knowledgeable folks who write detailed technical articles often describe how they've learned new methods and discovered new emerging technologies as they constantly react to this multi-faced industry.

One should be confident in their knowledge, willing to learn new things, and ready to say "I'll have to do more research on that and get back to you (or the situation)." As long as you resolve the issue in an acceptably timely manner, you'll be fine.

At least, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

Also, if you deal with people on the personal level about computers and such, (I've been doing it for 18 years now), you just tell them what you know... and if they differ from you, then you would be better off proving it to them.. by means of your own tests, experiments, researches, other sources.. or ultimately, have them prove it to you if they claim such can/can't be done.

Also remember, there are many things that can be done in the computer/IT world that's not widely known or accepted. Since computers are so spread out thinly as to what it can do.... there is not a single, nor a group of people on planet earth that can tell you everything about computers. And they definitely can't show you everything about them either. That's why I involve myself in every possible thing about computers. It's all about knowing and learning what I can, while I can.

But, when I don't have the answer to a computer question/problem, I usually leave the person with a reminder that I'll research it more, and at the same time, I advise them to do the same. And the reason for that is that they may bring you information that you weren't aware of, and at the same time,,, you're able to decipher the information easier to their understandings, or visa-versa.

So, even if you don't have the answer, you can have the asker of the question literally helping you get the answer. It is true that two heads are better than one in cases like that.

When I got my bachelors degree in EET (Electronics Engineer Technology) I didn't know computers like I do now, and at the same time, we always had challenges of who could design working prototypes of schematics brought to us. Many people had theories, many had facts, but all in all, when we worked together, we made 96% of all projects workable to this day.

So, my point, if you're going to go it alone with a person in your filed, and you both disagree on this or that, the best thing to do is to have a challenge, and then make the point clear, whether it's you or him/her that proves the point. But at the same time, a real challenger will learn from it, be it you or the other.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

The best way to handle questions the answer to which you do not know is to be completely frank with the end-user and say so. Get as much information as you can from them, and then let them know you will research and find the answer to their problem.
Quite often, this requires an attempt to duplicate the problem yourself, figure out if the user did something wrong, and if not, do further system research. Sometimes the solution takes some time; so I will E-mail the user with a note letting them know their problem is not forgotten.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

I'd be the end-user asking the difficult questions :thumbsup: I like a forthright answer - "I don't know", "I don't know, but I'll think about it", "I don't know, but I'll get back to you", "That's a doozy, it'd take any IT guy years to figure that one out, don't hold your breath" or "No, that's not possible". I dislike "fluffy" responses.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#6 sarahw

sarahw

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

Alot of people break computers into many group in an attempt to dodge a question, "I'm not sure, im only a hardware expert" or "That's not our companies position". I think it's good to take the information from the customer, and say "let's have a look", actively researching the issue with them, intelligently discussing it, so that both parties learn, you don't look stupid for not knowing, and your showing them the information they want to hear.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

Catchall answer #1: "Gremlins! Get the bug spray!"

Catchall answer #2: "Communist sabotage! Get Joe McCarthy!"

Catchall answer #3: "The flux capacitor has blown a widget. You need to reboot your RAM"

Catchall answer #4: "Evil spirits. Have you tried exorcism?"

Catchall answer #5: "I'm sorry, I don't speak English."

Catchall answer #6: "How doyou feel about voodoo?"

Catchall answer #7: "This is Andrew, I'm either on another call or away from my desk, please leave a brief message at the tone...beep"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users