Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing My Hard Drive Using My Ipod?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

My CD drive on my laptop does not work. I have an HP Pavilion zt1145 with Windows XP Home Edition.

Getting to the point, I really want to erase my laptop through the HP recovery disks. Obviously I cannot. My flash drive does not have enough memory to hold the 630 mb needed. Is it possible to reboot from my ipod and then erase my laptop? Are there certain requirements that my laptop must have? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

You can buy 1GB and 2GB flash drives now, for just a few pounds.. Buy one. Save all your data to it. Do a full recovery on your laptop. However that won't fix your cd problem if the cd drive itself is broken so don't assume a recovery is all that's required.

Edited by pip22, 24 March 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

Do you have a CD burner? That is 700mbs.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

no i dont have a cd burner and i was hoping that i would not have to buy another flash drive just for this purpose

actually my real intention is that by erasing my computer and starting over it will have better performance i dont intend on getting my cd drive fixed as it really is not necessary

so can i use my ipod? or is it not recommended?

o and since my laptop is old does anyone think that it might not be able to boot from an ipod? my laptop is an old model and it is around 4 years old

Edited by nyyanks, 24 March 2007 - 05:45 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#5 portola_flash

portola_flash

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

my friend uses his ipod like a external hard drive

#6 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

You could transfer it over a LAN which is 100mbps or 54mbps if wireless

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

I am confuse a little bit here. How do you expect to reinstall Windows without a CD or DVD?
Look in your BIOS and see if it will Boot from a USB drive. If it will select that as your first in order boot device. Next plug your iPod in a attempt to boot from it.
I have never tried it but I really do not expect it to work as a hard drive.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:50 AM

Check out this thread from another forum. They used an external USB HDD but I see no reason it shouldn't work using your iPod. But your laptop BIOS must support booting from a USB device.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:13 AM

I have heard of folks doing this, but it's fairly complicated.

First, you'll have to get your IPod to act as a bootable drive
Then, you'll have to copy the image of the installation CD to the drive so that the boot files are in the correct locations
Then you'll have to ensure that your system can boot from the USB device.

Providing all of that works, then you should be able to install XP from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:04 AM

ok i checked my bios and the only choices are "hard disk", "CD-ROM/DVD", "Diskette A", and "Internal LAN"

So the ipod idea isn't going to work

Will any of these choices help me? (I have floppys but I don't think that it holds enough mb)

And if it doesn't, is there an alternative solution?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

Do you have a second computer, or access to another computer?

#12 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

indeed I have two other computers in my home
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

Are they connected with a hub, switch, or router? Setup you BIOS to boot remotely through the LAN.

#14 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

i have a router but on the most part you have confused me completely
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

I have looked into it and I do not believe you will be able to install windows by booting from the USB or Ethernet connection.
One question. If you do manage to install XP without a CD\DVD how are you going to install the rest of your programs you have on CD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users