Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different Ip Address?!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

I have a Linksys Wireless-G 24 GHZ router. This connects directly to one of my computers via ethernet cable. In another room I have another computer that accesses the internet through an Ehome Wireless G usb stick. Unfortunately there is a problem. Obviously most IP addresses have 192.168... as the address. The computer in the other room, however, has something completely different!

Also I have a laptop that connects to the internet using an Ehome wireless G usb stick as well, although the ip address is 192.168... Furthermore both computers using the usb sticks have the same wireless network name (linksys), but different ip addresses! What is going on and how can I fix this?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 March 2007 - 07:36 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

2 or more computers can't have the same IP. Also you said your using a router? the 192.168.something.something is just your LAN IP, your Internet IP is totally different. So No they shouldn't have same IPs. If a computer does get the same IP messages will pop up saying IP Address Conflict.

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

i'm sorry if i was unclear but the ip addresses aren't exactly the same
Ex: 192.1.100 (laptop one)
and
Ex. 192.1.101 (old one on my other pc)

thats what it used to be but now the second one is (hypothetically)

165.234.12 (just an example not real i dont remember off the top of my head this is just to show the dramatic difference between the two now)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

o ok. They changed its no-longer like the others 192.168 gotcha. I think it has something to do with different model network routers/cards. But still it shouldn't make a difference. What is it doing differently? And if you want I could probably find where you can give all you computers a static LAN Ip.

#5 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

ok i dont know if i am being clear but it says that "linksys" is connected and that the connection service is "good", which is a good sign

i dont see any differences in my router or my usb etc

but i dont understand why the ip address is different with the same wireless network name (linksys)

tell me if i am unclear
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#6 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

but i dont understand why the ip address is different with the same wireless network name (linksys)

Your Network "Linksys" aka Your Router assigns every computer a different IP. If all comp[uter except 1 uses 192.168. and the other used 86.343. It shouldn't matter its just something that happens with computers. Its no answer for it that I know of.

Edited by Matthew Alan, 24 March 2007 - 08:10 PM.

#7 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

so you don't think that is the problem?

well the computer still cannot access the internet do you have any other solutions?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

you can try to manually assign the IP address for your computer.

Open the Wireless Network Properties (Network Connections->right click on the network in question->click properties)
Under the General tab, find the list of items labeled This Connection Uses the following items:

In that list, find the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and double-click on it

Click Use The Following IP address and enter an IP address for the computer (like 192.168.0.8). It's a good idea to make the last digit higher than the number of computers on the network to avoid conflicts.

Copy the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS server addresses from the other computer.

That's it.

#9 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

don't have a chance now but when i have the time i'll look into it and tell everyone my results thanks
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#10 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

I would also change the wireless SSID from 'linksys'. Is it possible that there is another wireless network nearby with the 'linksys' SSID? That would be a good reason that you are getting such different IP's.

#11 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

its certainly food for thought
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#12 sizzla

sizzla

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:13 AM

I think that using static IPs will solve your problem. Looks to me like you are currently running on DHCP.

#13 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

sorry i'm confused by what you mean by static ips
can you elaborate please?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#14 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Honestly, that's just fixing a symptom of a problem. DHCP is just fine to use, should not be causing any issues. And who wants to try and keep track of a bunch of IP addresses anyway?

#15 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

I remember what static IPs are now and that was my last resort.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users