Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rockhound

rockhound

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

hello all

Currently I am considering getting a new laptop, it has vista home premium installed and i was wondering about the following.

1. Can I install Adminpak in vista home premium?(administrative tools as I usually access my server's active directory to handle user accounts)

2. Can Vista home premium join a domain (as i am in a school environment and would like to access the schools domain)

3. How difficult is it to create a secondary partition so that i can install Win XP Pro in this particular laptop (dual booting)

sidetrack abit, how different is XP media centre and XP Pro.

Could I run apps like active directory and joining my school's domain using XP Media Centre?

Many thanks for any help that could be provided..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

Adminpak only lists 2k3 as its system properties, having not used it myself I couldn't really say.

The only versions of Vista that will connect to a Windows domain controller are the business/enterprise and ultimate editions.

Generally for dual booting I think you'd want to install XP first on a partition and then install Vista, since Vista's setup will know about XP, but the reverse may not be true. I'm not certain how compatible the two bootloaders are.

Media Center is similar to XP Pro, it offers many of the same NTFS features, and of course comes with the media center program. Since it's not classified as a business OS you cannot join a domain controller on-the-fly, although it does allow the option of joining a domain when the OS is first installed.
Posted Image

#3 rockhound

rockhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

Adminpak only lists 2k3 as its system properties, having not used it myself I couldn't really say.

The only versions of Vista that will connect to a Windows domain controller are the business/enterprise and ultimate editions.

Generally for dual booting I think you'd want to install XP first on a partition and then install Vista, since Vista's setup will know about XP, but the reverse may not be true. I'm not certain how compatible the two bootloaders are.

Media Center is similar to XP Pro, it offers many of the same NTFS features, and of course comes with the media center program. Since it's not classified as a business OS you cannot join a domain controller on-the-fly, although it does allow the option of joining a domain when the OS is first installed.

can't I join domain by my computer in xp med centre?

#4 rockhound

rockhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

the problem with this is that the lappy has VHome premium installed already....

dun quite know how to install XP in a partition bcos i heard that after installation, vista wont boot up

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

can't I join domain by my computer in xp med centre?

nope.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediace...uation/faq.mspx

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?

While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

the problem with this is that the lappy has VHome premium installed already....

dun quite know how to install XP in a partition bcos i heard that after installation, vista wont boot up

You might be able to do it with a third party bootloader like GAG.
Posted Image

#6 rockhound

rockhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

might be able to do it with a third party bootloader like GAG.

wats the probability of success on using GAG?

my course of action would be..
bring hm pc...

partition 10gb for winxp..

install win xp..

then install gag?

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Well, you'd need to shrink the Vista partition first if there's not already a free partition on the drive, or other unpartitioned space, with something like Partition Magic or gparted.

I haven't need to install a boot manager before so I'm not fully versed on them, but I believe you would then install the boot manager, and then add and install XP through the boot manager's options.
Posted Image

#8 rockhound

rockhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

Well, you'd need to shrink the Vista partition first if there's not already a free partition on the drive, or other unpartitioned space, with something like Partition Magic or gparted.

I haven't need to install a boot manager before so I'm not fully versed on them, but I believe you would then install the boot manager, and then add and install XP through the boot manager's options.

just a question

as the region i am in does not have Windows anytime upgrade for the time being...

can I buy the OEM version of business(the full one) to do the upgrade from home premium to business?

and

after doing so...I would be able to join the system to a domain rite?>

I am weighing my options:

I am not in favour of installing Win XP pro maybe because of the booting problem once it is installed and you could say I have no idea what to do should it fail...

y must microsoft make it so hard for the rest of us...and why must computer companies be so rigid on their computers having vista onli and not being able to downgrade

I read about Virtual Machine 07

If the laptop has vista home premium...can i install that to run xp?.....and how do you set up virtual machine to run xp pro?

Edited by rockhound, 24 March 2007 - 11:00 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:36 AM

The easiest way (IMO) to install XP after Vista is to install the XP, then run the Vista setup again and let it fix the boot sequence. Although the Vista boot files should still be there and you can use a tool like BCDEdit to repair the boot sequence.

Edited by usasma, 25 March 2007 - 06:37 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users