Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Mysteriously Missing Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 likeathiefinthenight

likeathiefinthenight

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

I'm having a problem with a friends computer. He recently ran a avast boot scan in which on prompting him what to do with viruses he said delete all.
Here's the problem, some of the viruses were in the System volume information folder which got corrupted (I'm pretty sure). So now on his computer (XP) he has a 200 Gb capacity drive with 70 Gb's worth of stuff on it but with only 50 Gb's free space. Some how 80Gb's are being mislabelled or whatever. I've tried using partion magic , chkdsk command, Disk management, cleaning out all temp folders etc. Nothing worked. All diagnostic tools simply say that the 80Gb's is being used when it's not. Is there a tool to refresh the System Volume information folder or do I have to reformat the hard drive(I hope not).
Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

The 'system volume information' folder is where Windows XP stores the restore points for when you need to use system restore. As it also stores viruses which may have been acquired, and since no antivirus product is able to rid this folder of viruses, you should always delete ALL restore points which will also delete any viruses within them.

To delete all restore points:
1. Control Panel - change to 'Classic' view.
2. Click 'System' then click the 'System Restore' tab.
3. Tick the "Turn off system restore" check-box and click 'Apply'
4. Wait a few seconds then remove the tick, click "Apply" again.

Job done

Before clicking "OK" to close the box, take note of the slider. This shows how much of your disk space is reserved for restore points. This amount of space will always be unavailable for anything else, even when the data within it is much less, because Windows has reserved it solely for the purpose of storing restore data. If you want to lower the amount of space it uses for that, do it now by adjusting the slider. Doing so will release more space for programs and your own data. Then click 'OK'. Just bear in mind that less space for restore points means fewer restore points will be available to you when you need to use System Restore.

Edited by pip22, 24 March 2007 - 05:12 PM.

#3 likeathiefinthenight

likeathiefinthenight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thanks but I guess this wasn't my problem. I still seem to be missing quite a bit of space. Any other ideas?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:30 AM

Check for file system errors and bad sectors on your hard disk.

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the local disk that you want to check. Click Properties, and then click Tools. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. Click Start.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users