Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About:blank Windows Ie Pop-up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 viALonE

viALonE

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

I don't even know where to begin on fixing/repairing my PC "issue". I believe my problem falls under the category of "Homepage Hijacking".

Here's my current annoyance: Every time I close/exit any particular directory file folder or active application window that is currently running or open on my desktop, immediately following the window closure a blank Windows Internet Explorer Window titled about:blank opens.

I believe my issue was brought on when I was using the fileshare program uTorrent.exe. I now know and understand the vulnerability of my firewall ports when using that program.

Since my PC knowledge is minute but more than average, I have only taken a few basic steps in attempting to locate/remove this problem.
I have deleted all cookies, temporary internet files, uninstalled/removed uTorrent.exe, and ran a full system scan with my current protection, AVG Internet Security(up-to-date). The results of the scan returned a few Minor threatening Ad-ware and Tracking Cookies, which I removed. I restarted my PC, no boot/startup problems, and the issue was still at hand. I checked my current running processes in Task Manager, but nothing abnormal there. The most noticeable performance issue is a decrease and hesitation in Internet Loading and Downloading Speeds.

I am lost on what it is or where to begin the repair process. Please help. Thankz in advance. :thumbsup:

OS~ Windows XP Professional 2002 Edition w/ SP2
Browser~ Mozilla Fire Fox 2.0.0.3
Security~ AVG Internet Security Suite

"Where no Light shines, there casts no Shadow........."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

1)How To Remove About:blank & About:navigationfailure & Se.dll

2)Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/]SuperAintiSpyware

3)Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html]Bitdefender

Please post back, after you have performed all the scans how your computer is doing.

#3 viALonE

viALonE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

Absolutely amazing!!! Thankz a bunch. Fozzie, greatly appreciated for the quick response and solution.:thumbsup: :trumpet:

Final thought....... Why is it that some security programs can detect items that other programs can't and visa versa. In your opinion what is the best protection suite/detector application???
:flowers:

"Where no Light shines, there casts no Shadow........."

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:50 AM

There is really not an "all in 1 "solution for malware these days. I would stay away from suites since they are resource hoggers ( taking a lot of your pc resources). What I have is :

1) AVG Free Antivirus daily scanning
2) Zone Alarm Free
3) Adaware 2 x per week scanning
4) Spybot S & D 1 x per week scanning
5) SuperAntiSpyware 1 x per week scanning
6) Ccleaner 3 x per week scanning

Having 2 antivirus gives conflicts and leave you wide open. If I am suspiceous I will do an online scan with Bitdefender. This has kept me clean together with prudent surfing ofcourse and staying away from P2P applications.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security industry is in a constant state of change with new infections coming out on a daily basis. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products to supplement your anti-virus and scanning in safe mode provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users