Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected, But Can't Find The Cause....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madmanc

madmanc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

Hi all,
My PC picked up something unpleasant earlier this week and I've been running all sorts to try to clear it (see below). I've cleared a lot of junk off there, but I still have an issue with IE windows opening spontaneously going to random sites such as 'broadcaster.com', 'mydebtrelief.com' and a smaller window with Casale Media.

I already had spybot S&D, and have run AVG antivirus, AVG anti-spyware, plus an older version of ewido, and Brute Force Uninstaller. I've also run adawareSE and just installed Panda Antivirus (as recommended here), and downloaded the outerinfo uninstaller and ran that. They are all now coming up clean.
One of them found smitfraud, there was also an ldcore.dll issue (that took a couple of hours to sort). There was also an outerinfo issue (it was in the 'add/remove programs' list, and it wouldn't allow me to download the uninstaller through IE), but those are now resolved, I think.
I've run HJT a few times, but can't find anything obvious in its logs, and as I mentioned, all the packages above are coming up clean. A fresh install of ZoneAlarm also isn't spotting or stopping these windows from opening.

I'm a bit flummoxed, to say the least, so any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

Since you have already done the groundwork, I suggest you submit a fresh HJT log to our Team for closer and more detailed review. See the instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 madmanc

madmanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

Thanks John, will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users