Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pop Ups At Start Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lakey

lakey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

I recently started getting some new pop ups when I restart my computer. I recently installed Regcur, a registry cleaning software because my computer was running slow and other isues. Since I did this I started getting pop up messages at start up that say the following. It alternates between the two. One time it will say windows installer preparing to install photo gallery, the next time it will say preparing to install fax viewer, then in both cases it will say, please wait while windows configures photo gallery, or please wait while windows configures fax viewer. Then it says the feature you are trying to use is on a cd rom or other removable disc that is not available. Insert disc and click ok, I have no disc to insert and don't know what the're talking about. Then I get an error message. Error 1706, no valid source could be found for photo gallery, or if the other window had popped up it would say no valid source for fax viewer. I never got these messages before I used Regcure. I tried contacting them but have not gotten a response so far. I am not a computer wizard by any means and would need a well detailed step by step instruction telling me how to get rid of this. Hope someone can help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Are you the only one using this computer? Are there other profiles on the computer that may contain these programs? Do you have a name of the programs (Photo Gallery, fax viewer) that are requesting a disk?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

Some comments on RegCure

Windows Installer Cleanup utility should do the trick.

#4 lakey

lakey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:13 AM

Are you the only one using this computer? Are there other profiles on the computer that may contain these programs? Do you have a name of the programs (Photo Gallery, fax viewer) that are requesting a disk?

I share the computer with my wife. Don't know if there are any other programs that contain these programs. I downloaded Installation wizard clean-up and looked for anything that sounded like these programs. I found one that says fax 47.0.1.000 and one that says photo gallery 45.4.157.000. I don't know if these are the programs that I am trying to eliminate or not. I'm kinda afraid to delete them thinking I might delete the wrong program. Any way to know for sure? If I delete them from the installation wizard cleanup menu can I undo it if they're not the right ones? Thanks for your help.

#5 lakey

lakey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:21 AM

Some comments on RegCure

Windows Installer Cleanup utility should do the trick.

Thanks for the info on RegCure. I kinda get the feeling that it's a scam. I just threw $30.00 out the window. Oh well it won't be the first time. I did download Installation wizard clean up. I have not deleted those programs yet. I'm a little nervouse, thinking I might delete the wrong one. In the clean up wizrd I see fax 47.0.1.000 and photo gallery 45.4.157.000. Anyway of knowing if these truely are the ones I want to get rid of? Thanks for any info you can share.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

Those should be the programs yes. The registry is for 99,9% off all people a walk in the dark woods.. You can fiddle aroud what you want but make sure before you start hobbying please look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

I share the computer with my wife. Don't know if there are any other programs that contain these programs. I downloaded Installation wizard clean-up and looked for anything that sounded like these programs. I found one that says fax 47.0.1.000 and one that says photo gallery 45.4.157.000. I don't know if these are the programs that I am trying to eliminate or not. I'm kinda afraid to delete them thinking I might delete the wrong program. Any way to know for sure? If I delete them from the installation wizard cleanup menu can I undo it if they're not the right ones? Thanks for your help.

As well you should be. The first thing you should do is backup you Registry and create a System Restore Point. It is better to have a system back to a bad restore point than have to reload everything (reinstall windows). Also copy all data you cannot afford to loose to cd or a second drive or partition.
The easiest way to attempt to fix this would be select a restore point from a time before you allow these programs on your computer. Just be aware you will loose all of your data from the date of the restore point to the date to perform the System Restore.

System Restore is located under System Tools in the Accessories in the Programs Menu.
I would use ERUNT to create a Registry Backup.

#8 lakey

lakey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

As well you should be. The first thing you should do is backup you Registry and create a System Restore Point. It is better to have a system back to a bad restore point than have to reload everything (reinstall windows). Also copy all data you cannot afford to loose to cd or a second drive or partition.
The easiest way to attempt to fix this would be select a restore point from a time before you allow these programs on your computer. Just be aware you will loose all of your data from the date of the restore point to the date to perform the System Restore.

System Restore is located under System Tools in the Accessories in the Programs Menu.
I would use ERUNT to create a Registry Backup.

#9 lakey

lakey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

[size=3]Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. You'll have to excuse me in how I respond to these messages I'm still learning. Thanks again.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

Do not worry about it. You are doing fine. We all have to start somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users