Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oem Vs Retail

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

I need to buy a new OS :thumbsup: . Given that Vista is still in beta, I have decided to buy XP Professional. Buying OEM is certainly the cheaper route to go, but then do I give anything up? What would motivate me to spend the extra money on retail?

Thanks for the help.

bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

You will not give up anything buying an XP Pro OEM. OEM OS's are made available to PC builders at a lower cost to help raise the profit margin for the builders.

Posted Image

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Did you see this?

An Explanation of OEM, Upgrade, Academic, & Full Versions of Software

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was in my local computer shop and I asked the guy about it. My real issue is that I have a laptop and a desktop that I want to reformat. He told me that I would have to buy 2 copies of XP, so that each would work properly with regards to updates and such. Is this the case? I mean, that's a real way for Microsoft to put the screws to consumers if it is! :thumbsup:

Thanks
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

Yep. M$ has it set so that your computer will be recognized along with your copy of XP, if you transfer this to another computer M$ it will not recognize it and won't allow updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

You should be able to puchase a corpoate version of Windows Xp that only requires one key to install and be legit. the question is is it going to be worth it. i couldnt find any info on XP Corporate so i dont know

Posted Image

#7 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

i am thinking you want to upgrade to vista from my assumptions in your first post...so i say go for OEM and then get vista after..you save more money
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users