Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os Selection Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morcom

morcom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

I have just taken on a new motherboard which uses a dual 64k AMD CPU with all the latest goodies such as SATA2 etc.
I used to run multiple XP operating systems using System Commander which I found very good for the job.
Unfortunately it is struggling with the new envirionment even with just XPs and I wish to trial XP pro, XP-x64 and Vista. I have run them all individually but now need to find a reasonable application that will allow all to run on separate partions. I have tried ACRONIS but that really got confusing and gave problem when loading a new OS.
Anyone out there been down this road and had the problems? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

MORCOM

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Thanks to jgw for the added topic description - appreciated - morcom

Edited by morcom, 24 March 2007 - 07:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 morcom

morcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Seems like nobody is into doing this. I have settled for installing Vista after the XP on different partions and am using the Vista to offer the boot menu.
Working pretty good but Vista still giving problems of not running a lot of my XP progs. Yes - there is no Vista updates for them........MORCOM

Edited by morcom, 26 March 2007 - 04:23 PM.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hey morcom -

First, unless you got the latest build of Acronis OS Selector, it does have a problem with Vista. I haven't tried this latest version, so I can't vouch for how well it works.

I have a dual boot system, too, with XP MCE on the first partition, and then I installed Vista Ultimate on the second.

Then me and 350100 of my closest friends downloaded

VistaBootPro

which allowed me to easily edit the boot menu.

First thing I did is change that delay time from 30 to 10 seconds, which works better for me.

Good luck, and :thumbsup: to the board.

Edited by JohnWho, 26 March 2007 - 04:48 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 morcom

morcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hi JohnWho - thanks for your reply. I pretty well was sure that others must be doing this.
Sound like your system is similar to mine exept I use XP pro which I've had for a long time.
I understand what you mean about the ACRONIS package - looks nice but just didn't feel right with way it seemed to be making BOOTWIZ folders all over the place.
I will definately take your (an your 350100 friends) advise and will down load the VistaBootPro which seem to be the ticket.
Once I have stabalised the platform(s) a bit I would like to add XP x64 which I have a copy of really just to see if my hardware works on 64k which is supposed to do.

Thanks also for the welcome to the forum - appreciated. I'll keep you advised of progress but don't think it will be tooooooo speedy yet....................MORCOM :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users