Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Stop Auto-downloads?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

Hi, I've only had Win XP Home a few months and it works fine, but I'm puzzled at what happens most times when I switch on the PC and log onto the net, because the hard drive usually starts whirring and churning away for up to 10 minutes or more, as if its downloading something, yet there's no message on my desktop or anywhere to indicate any download is in progress. (At least I'm assuming its a download, I mean what else could it be?)
I ignore the whirring drive and just carry on with what I'm doing (games etc), but then the program window minimises and I have to expand it again.
Soon after that, the whirring drive seems to stop.
Therefore it seems something is auto-downloading against my will every time I switch on the PC.
I found a button in XP options which I've selected - "inform me of downloads available, but let me choose when to download them", but it has no effect, the downloads auto-download regardless.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 23 March 2007 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

My initial thought is all of your different anti-malware, anti-virus applications are searching for the latest definition files to be current. At least that is what my machine does, as soon as I turn it on. And it does not ask me if I want them or not, it just does it's thing while I wait.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Whirring for 10 minutes. A bug. There's now an official patch for it, but it didn't work for me. Find KB article regarding 100% utilization.

It's not downloading. I watched it with ProcessMonitor. It's reading every freaking file that the updates pushed into your computer. It takes 7-9 minutes. It does not happen if Automatic updates are ON. Hmmm, it did to you? It does happen with Download, don't install and Notify only settings. So Turning updates ON, or completely off is the answer. But you must not forget to do the updates manually!

Open Control Panel, Admin tools, Services. Find service Automatic updates and stop it. Next after it is BITS (Background interlligent something), turn that off as well. And of course, tell the Windows Update dialog to not do Automatic updates, perhaps that should be done first, I don't remember. Finally, on the day you want to update, reverse the process.

Oh, and as Animal says, anti-malware stuff does have to go out for definitions, so a reasonable time 30sec?? is totally acceptable. 10 minutes is not.

Edited: I found the reference to svchost 100% utilization: KB927891. The patch is no longer restricted. You don't have to call and beg.

Edited by tos226, 23 March 2007 - 08:12 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

My error... yes 10 minutes is not acceptable. Check into what tos226 suggests as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

Okay thanks guys, i'll get on it.
PS - i should have said the only reason the 10 min whirring/churning bothers me is because it slows down whatever else I'm doing on the PC, otherwise I could live with it. (In fact I can still live with it even if I can't stop it after following your suggestions)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 24 March 2007 - 02:28 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

You should open the Task Manager while this whirring/churning is going on and see what is using up the most CPU/memory. It might give you a clue as to what is going on.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

Task Manager may not tell. Because most likely it'll be under svchost which can run any old service. One tip is wuauclt being present. But the best tool is sysinternals File Monitor and/or ProcMon. That's how I saw that wuauclt was looking at every patch ever issued.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users