Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

V-buster And Mcafee

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 looiht

looiht

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

I am new here. The following instructions will help those who has trouble installing McAfee because of a non- existant V-Buster Windows Interface 2004.

Please go to this URL

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php...days=0&post

Please also read the post below.

Looiht

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I will try to clear the air as the problem is becoming a real nuisance to me. I do not know why V-Buster has been targeted. I started when McAfee was still in the Air Force. V-Buster is no competition to anybody as it is only a hobby and is basically free although there is a paid version.

The line in the Windows Registry causing the problem is:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ST6UNST

McAfee will install after this line is removed. However there will be a problem as many programs assembled by the Visual Basic compiler will put this entry in the Windows Registry. In other words after this line is removed some of the programs in the computer will not uninstall or run properly and you will have to reinstall these programs.

You will have to repeat the whole process when you reinstall or upgrade McAfee.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

looiht Posted Image to BC

I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

VirusBurster and VirusBursters are the same programs with slightly different names. VirusBurster and VirusBursters are anti-spyware programs that are known to issue fake warnings on your computer in order to manipulate you into buying the full commercial version. These programs are generally installed by a Trojan that automatically downloads and installs the program. An image of the VirusBursters program is below:

How To Remove Virusburster Or Virusbursters (removal Instructions)

Please continue posting in AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

#3 looiht

looiht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

V-Buster is not VirusBurster or VirusBursters. It is a different program altogether. Go to http://vbuster.net to find out. V-Buster has been around since 1987 about the same time as McAfee and Dr.Solomon.
An entry in the Windows Registry that is common to programs written in the Visual Basic compiler has prevented McAfee from being installed and McAfee always displays the message that McAfee cannot be installed because V-Buster Windows Interface 2004 has been installed when it is actually non-existant in the computer as the entry is placed in the Windows Registry by other programs and not V-Buster although V-Buster has this entry.
This has resulted in the innocent author getting rude emails, many with 4 letter words demanding an uninstall program.

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

Interesting information looiht, thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:
Posted Image to BC!

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 looiht

looiht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

I noticed that most of the questions in this forum are from those who have trouble removing an unwanted program like a trojan, worm, spyware, etc. I hope I can be of some help. I have been collecting and doing research on computer viruses as a hobby for more than 20 years. There is an easy way to see if your computer is infected and also an easy way to remove them.

Trojans, Worms, Spyware, etc.
Usually you do not need an anti-virus program to see if your computer is infected. Use a Registry program like Registryfix, Tune-up Utilities, etc. to list the Startup files. Any new entries will usually be an unwanted program unless you have installed some new utilities which has inserted the new entries. Just delete the line with the Registry program. You can delete the line using Regedit.Exe but this can be tricky. Most trojans, worms, spyware, etc will use an entry in the Registry as a Startup program to activate itself when Windows starts. Some, especially the older trojans will execute itself with an entry in Win.Ini. I do not see this very often now as it is quite easy to remove the line containing the unwanted program in Win.Ini. Some file viruses will use the methods mentioned but most will infect some of the files loaded in by Windows when Windows starts.

Most of you are having trouble deleting unwanted files because most unwanted programs will have a copy of itself with an attribute of 22, hidden and read only. Windows will not allow any program with an attribute of 22 to be deleted. If you do not have NTFS file system, just boot up DOS taken from a Windows 98 computer and delete the file from DOS. You must take a copy of the file first. A lot of unwanted programs will rename one of the Windows file to another name and then rename itself to the name of the Windows file. Another way is to use Explorer to change the attribute of the file to "archive" while unchecking the "Read Only" and "Hidden box". This will usually but not always work.

A clever trick used by many writers of unwanted programs is to recreate itself when Windows starts. The unwanted program will reappear again although it has been deleted. These unwanted programs are usually recreated from the Recycled folder, a temporary file or a base 64 file. After deleting the unwanted program you must delete all files in the Recycled folder as well as all temporary files.

I hope the information will be of use to you. If you have problems please feel free to email me at:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I or one of my staff will try to help you. It will be completely free.
Should you came across any new virus, trojan, worm, etc. do send a copy to me for my examination. Please zip it with a password first.

You can also visit my site at:
http://vbuster.net

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 24 March 2007 - 11:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users