Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Volume

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

[font=Arial][size=3]How do I increace the volume out put of my computer? New speakers, different sound card, or "other?" :thumbsup:

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description and moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 23 March 2007 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Questions:

What have you tried so far?

Also, do your speakers have a separate volume control?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:46 PM

Is your problem that your current speakers seem to have less volume than before, or that you are dissatisfied with them?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

[font=Arial][size=3]The speakers are acting the same as usual but I ran into a video on youtube that I could barely hear even though the volume was at its highest level. I had to put a speaker right in my face in order to hear. I know it was the video, but I figure there are more videoes out there like that one so I need to be prepared. The video was allmost an hour long!!! I was not dissatisfied with sound until then.
the speakers do not havae a seperate volume control.

Edited by M.A.Sheron, 24 March 2007 - 11:18 AM.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

M.A.Sheron

Speakers without any sort of volume control are most likely not "powered" or amplified speakers, and the volume may often be weak depending on the audio electronics in your PC.

You might try - maybe borrow from a friend - a set of powered speakers. These speakers will also plug into an AC outlet and the amplifier in them will allow you to change the volume level.

#6 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

If I have to plug in one more thing I might start a fire! :thumbsup:

#7 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Do you think the youtube video you were trying to view was just of crappy quality. I would blame the internet video before my speakers!

#8 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

I am thinking 100watt speakers will overcome "crappy" video. Not every body is an expert move maker.
I know I'm not! Are computer speakers and stereo speakers the same? Could I splice them togeather with out damaging any thing?

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

I am thinking 100watt speakers will overcome "crappy" video. Not every body is an expert move maker.
I know I'm not! Are computer speakers and stereo speakers the same? Could I splice them togeather with out damaging any thing?

Uh,

if you want to use what you are apparently calling "stereo" speakers, you'll need to run the audio signal from the PC into an amplifier, and hook those speakers up to that amplifier.

Since you can buy powered PC speakers for prices as low as $20, I don't see why you would go through all that effort, but that's just me.

#10 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

I ment 100watt computer speakers if I got to buy. IN my attemt to avoid spending any more money on this contraption, I just thought maybe tower stereo speakers that I already own could be substituted. Every time I sneeze I hava to spend mony on this danggone computer. If it would work, I'd avoid a fire hazzard, a trip hazzared, a hang hazzard, and a pay more money frustration.
Is a computer speaker wire really all that different than stereo speaker wire? :thumbsup:

Edited by M.A.Sheron, 25 March 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Let me answer that last question first -

Answer: "Not really."

However, it isn't that simple, but I'll try to keep the explanation simple:

Your PC's audio card puts out a very weak signal, often even at maximum volume through the PC software it may be very hard to hear. A "stereo" speaker would normally require an even stronger signal, since they usually require more power. That is why many PC speakers (most, in fact) are "powered" speakers - they include an amplifier, usually built in to one of the speakers, that takes that weak audio out signal and amplifies it so it can be heard, and the volume adjusted, through the speakers.

Hope that helps.

#12 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Thank You! Would 100watt computer speakers be worth the bucks, or are they a rippoff? I am trying to avoid electrical plug ins. The CPU, monitor, printer, modem, and phone(cordless) are pluged into a strip thingy attatched to an extention cord that plugs in to the outlet that the refridgerator is on. It is the only outlet that keeps the cords out of open floor. If I move the computer I'd have a "dedicated" outlet, but the phone cord would hang somebody(probably me in the middle of the night :thumbsup: ).Or a trip hazzard if I get enough phone cord. With all this "stuff" going to the same outlet, I dont think it would be a smart idea to add more AC "stuff", so I"d like to avoid AC amplified speakers if at all possable. I aint trying to start an electrical fire, I got to live here! :flowers:

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

Powered speakers got to get their power from somewhere.

If you absolutely, positively, don't want to plug them in to an AC outlet,

you might look for either battery powered speakers or ones that draw power from the USB port.

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

and I really hope you have a Surge Protector on that outlet :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 M.A.Sheron

M.A.Sheron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

I thank everybody so much for your responses, its nice to know there is actually help out there in cyberspace. I think the strip thingy is a surge protecter. I've been reading about computer speakers on a P.C.world web site. They are the ones who were talking about 100watt computer speakers. I have no clue if the speakers plug up "AC"or not. I wont know until I go to circuit city or best buy or somewhere I can see the things. If the speakers were amplified wouldn't the web ads say so? UBS is not a problem yet. Give me a couple 'a months that might change :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users