Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Won't Let Me Unplug Usb Drive Gracefully

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

On WinXp or 2K, when you plug in USB drive, and be4 plugging it out, you have to shut it down, by right clicking on USB icon on the system tray, and Stop it through the dialog box. In the dialog box, you highlight the USB drive, and press on Stop to stop the USB drive. It keeps saying the device cannot be stopped, so it won't let me unplug it gracefully. Anyone know how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer! :thumbsup:

What sort of devices are you using?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

On top of what devices are you using, what programs are you using them with (like just copying information off a memory stick into Windows Explorer or another program)?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

It's mostly Word and Powerpoint. I just open them up through the USB drive, and then work on it and close the files, and am trying to unplug the USB drive gracefully. I know it will like to not damage the files on the USB drive, but I've been getting complaints about not being able to "stop" the USB drive throug the dialog boxes.

It's mostly Word and Powerpoint. I just open them up through the USB drive, and then work on it and close the files, and am trying to unplug the USB drive gracefully. I know it will like to not damage the files on the USB drive, but I've been getting complaints about not being able to "stop" the USB drive throug the dialog boxes.

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

When you say "close the files", does that mean that you only close the Powerpoint file, or are you exiting the program as well? I have had the same problem when I don't close the parent program completely.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#6 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

Thanks tried it, but I still get same error. Any other suggestions?

#7 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

Let me add a clarification, what I mean is I can't do "Safely Remove Hardware" on the USB drive (stick).

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

gooky -

Are you also exiting the program - either Word or Powerpoint?

If you shut down all open programs, and then try shutting down the USB device, what happens?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

The result is the same error message. I am getting this error message on multiple PCs with with more than 1 USB drives. Tried re-installing the drive as well. The users are asking me WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN, and I don't know how to explain or how to fix it. :thumbsup:

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

Need more information -

What is the exact make and model number of that USB drive?

Is it "U3" enabled?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users