Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering Windows Data To New Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 portola_flash

portola_flash

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:16 AM

OK this problem has had me stumped for awile. My current harddrive has a genuine version of windows on it and im planning on upgrading to a sata raid setup. This would require a reformating of the drive im currently using and the new drive I have. The easy way to do it would just reformat and reinstall but I dont have a windows CD for this PC and I dont have any way of ataining a new one unless ofcourse I purchase one.

Ive been told that "in thoery" you can just copy the entire harddrive and everything on it to the new partition and if your lucky you wont have any problems. Im sceptical on how reliable this method really is and would apprieciate some other poeple ideas on what I should do. I have a external hardrive at my exposal and I dont have much funds on new software or hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

Can you borrow an XP CD from someone? You can use any XP CD provided you have a valid product key. Some computer stores will sell you an XP CD for about 10USD provided you can prove you have a valid product key (which is probably on a sticker on the side of your case). You may have to take your case to the store as proof. Not all stores will do this for you so phone around first.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:50 AM

Posted Image to BC

or :
Please download SIW
SIW is a System Information tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings. A utility that includes detailed specs for Motherboard, BIOS, CPU, Devices, Memory, Video, Drives, Ports, Printers. It displays information about Operating System, Installed Programs, Processes, Services, Product Key (CD key), Serial Numbers, Users, Open Files, System uptime, Users, Network, Network Shares, and more, as well as real-time monitors for CPU, Memory, Page File usage and network traffic. SIW also displays currently active network connections, Passwords hidden behind asterisks, installed codecs, and more. A standalone tool that does not require installation.

This will help yu to find your XP product key.

Edited by fozzie, 23 March 2007 - 02:50 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Moving XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 portola_flash

portola_flash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

I have an Xp proffesional cd that doesnt require a product key but its not genuine, so your saying that If i put in my product key in later when windows asks me to it will work?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

That's where the "in theory" part comes in. It may work - but it depends on the type of installation media and if it matches your XP product key. If it doesn't, it won't work for you.

Your best bet is to buy or borrow a copy that's of the same type that you have currently. If you buy it, then you'll have 2 copies - if you borrow it, you can make a copy of the disk for your own use. Then you'll have a legit copy and won't have any worries.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users