Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

My friend really hates his vista and he is trying to get rid of it and install Windows XP. However everything he tires, even completely reformatting disk does not get rid of it...

Can you think of any ways he can delete it from his computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:33 AM

Could you expand a little on the symptoms? If he has reformatted, then it has gone. Is it the bootmng or something similar which is still lurking?

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

This may sound like a silly question, but has your friend re-formatted the partition that has Vista installed? With new computers, the mfg usually creates a few partitions and the one with Vista on it needs to be formatted. Remember the "DCF" rule:

Delete, Create, Format the partition.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

Ive reformatted Vista with no probs!
MCP
MSDST

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

Recently I've noticed that a few of the major computer manufacturer's are putting their restore partition as the first partition on the drive (the C: partition), leaving the D: partition for the OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Recently I've noticed that a few of the major computer manufacturer's are putting their restore partition as the first partition on the drive (the C: partition), leaving the D: partition for the OS.

Hmm... I wonder if that is technically better than putting the restore partition as the second and leaving the first partition for the OS?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

I uninstalled my copy of Vista Home Basic only because it Vista is such am memory hog. That and the User Account Control was a major pain in the butt.

So I'm back to XP.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

You can use most of the same tweaks that were used in XP to decrease memory usage. The most popular are cutting the color quality back on the Display Settings, and setting the system for "Performance" in the System applet in Control Panel.

UAC can be disabled through a registry tweak or through Group Policy - but it's a small price to pay for the added security that it offers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:20 PM

thank you everyone for helping me here. I dont know that much technical details because he only told me what i told you. Ill direct him to look here and see if your comments have helped. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users