Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Startup Item

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RickC64

RickC64

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

startup item ............... Rundll32 SPIRun
Command ............. Rundll32 SPIRundll,RunDLLEntry

Hello and thanks for this great resource. I've lurked for awhile but never posted before.

I found the above in my startup group and I'm pretty sure is wan't there the last time I looked. I only have 8 items checked so it kind of jumped out at me. This is a gaming rig so I keep it running pretty lean. I checked the startup list because the HD seemed to be working harder than normal.

By startup group I mean the list checked at system configuration utility\selective startup\startup

I run Adaware SE personal and Norton suite. The last thing I installed was MS Office small business edition, and that was about a week ago. This is a fairly new pc.

Can anyone tell me what the above item is associated with and if it needs to be running?

Windows xp home
IE 6 sp 2 (I'm stalling on IE7 as I've heard it's a bit buggy)

I'm not a total pc noob but if you need more info you may need to talk my through how to obtain it.

........thanks very much in advance

RickC

Edited by RickC64, 22 March 2007 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

I checked a few places and saw nothing of SPIRundll, i would say disable it in your msconfig, reboot, and see if it turns itself back on.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 RickC64

RickC64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

Negative.
It did not restart itself after unchecking and rebooting.

Rick

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

I would say just forget about it then lol

Gavin Seabrook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

Search your hard drive for SPIRun and it may give you some clues by the folders that it's located in. Right click on the SPIRun file and select Properties - that dialog may give some information about the person/firm who wrote it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

I have done some research as well and in 1 of the Dutch forums it came out as a baddie in the 04 section of HJT. Please upload the file at Jotti or Virustotal and post back the result

#7 RickC64

RickC64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

SPIRun.dll file is located in:

windows\system 32
program files\creative\sound blaster x-fi\program\wdm\Win2k_xp

Search for the file found it in those 2 locations. I used both utilities to scan it and it came up clean.

If it is such a rare unheard of file why do you think I have it on my pc? I guess I can just leave it be since it appears to be harmless??

.........thank you!
Rick C

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:45 AM

Appears to be harmless and actually harmless are 2 different things. Does right clicking on the file and selecting Properties reveal anything?

If not, I'd suggest moving (not copying) that entire directory elsewhere (preferably to a floppy or CD) to see if it affects your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 RickC64

RickC64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

Posted Image

This is the .dll file properties. The one in windows\system32 is identical but is checked as read only.

Surely you don't mean moving my system32 folder elsewhere.?? Don't you mean moving the .dll files off my system and watching for any effects?

.......thanks
RickC

#10 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Well that is for your soundblaster. Leave it the way it was! lol

Gavin Seabrook

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:52 AM

If you click on the version tab in your screenshot you may be able to see some more info about the file.

No, do not move your System32 directory - it'll hose your system! Move only the .dll file. Worst case is it'll stop your sound, best case is you'll find that it fixes your problems.

My advice here is based on unknown files and their treatment (since I don't have a Creative SoundBlaster card I can't look at it on my system). Others responding may have Creative cards on their system and may have seen that this is a part of the installation. If that's the case, then their advice is more appropriate than mine.

#12 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

I have an Audigy 2 platinum, and I have that file, just not in my startup items.

Gavin Seabrook

#13 RickC64

RickC64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

I removed both .dll files to a disk. I have not noticed any ill effects.

.......thank you very much for the help, it's much appreciated.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users