Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Disconnected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mytreazure

mytreazure

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

I recently bought a Linksys wireless router, so that my son could use his laptop. I hooked up the router and thought all was well, but we can't seem to get a connection on his laptop. I can unplug the ethernet cord from our main computer and plug it into his laptop and get internet connection, but not thru the wireless router. When I ipconfig/all, I see media state media disconnected and the name of the adapter under that. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

Go to your network connections menu (Start>control panel>Network connections). Right click on the Wireless adapter and select "View available wireless networks". You should se your linksys there. Double click on it to connect, wait for it to obtain and address and you should be good to go.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:12 AM

This could alos be a issue with the WEP settings make sure that the correct settings are on the laptop. If you can see the network by using the above method then if you are unable to connect still then it is a authentication issue.
Posted Image

#4 mytreazure

mytreazure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

I get no available networks.

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Does this lappy have a switch to turn on WIFI? or is it always on?

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users