Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Programs (.exe Files)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phatima

Phatima

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Everytime I click on an 'exe' program I get a box saying (example):

-------------------------

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search.

-------------------------

It won't let me open the programs. I can open up word, and notepad but I can't open the .exe files.

I've been in My Computer, changed the folder options of the regestered file types and created a text document named repair.reg but it doesn't seem to solve the puzzle! I'm also running an online scan as I cannot run my anti-virus scan on my computer, it's the pandascan and I will post the results as soon as I get them.

Please can someone try to make sense of this and give a helping hand, will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:27 PM

If Panda finds malware on your computer, I would suggest you follow the directions below. If it doesn't, run the Super Antispyware scan.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the directions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Phatima

Phatima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

1: Panda did find a lot of stuff but I am unable to go into Safe-Mode as when it loads up, it just stops? I'm really confused.

2: I am doing that online scan now thanks.

3: I don't think I will be able to run the hijack this program as it is an .exe program?

I think if I was able to do a system restore it should sort the problem out but I do not know how to access it as it is an .exe program. Maybe there is a way to change the file type around?

Thank you for your help anyway.

Edited by Phatima, 22 March 2007 - 12:36 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

How to start Windows in safe mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

As far as the Hijack This log goes, all you can do is try.
If you have a problem getting HijackThis to run, try renaming it to something else like "myscan". If needed you can also change the .EXE to .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR. All all are valid for renaming it.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

See if anything here might help:
You receive an error message when you try to start a program that has an .exe file name extension
Cannot run EXE files - Programs don't open
You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension
You Cannot Start Programs (.exe Files) When Your Computer Is Infected with the SirCam Virus
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Phatima

Phatima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

Thank you guys, I managed to solve the puzzle!

For future reference:

I saved the following code (on a new text document) as *.INF file type, right click & select "Install".

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=balthaZor

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=UnhookRegKey
DelReg=del

[UnhookRegKey]
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\piffile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\regfile\shell\open\command,,,"regedit.exe "%1""
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\scrfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKCU, Software\M'zoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0
HKCU, Control Panel\Desktop, SCRNSAVE.EXE,0,
HKLM, SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile,,,"Application"
HKLM, SOFTWARE\M'zoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, Shell,0, "Explorer.exe"
HKLM, SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot, AlternateShell,0, "cmd.exe"
HKLM, SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\SafeBoot, AlternateShell,0, "cmd.exe"
HKLM, SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\SafeBoot, AlternateShell,0, "cmd.exe"
HKLM, SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot, AlternateShell,0, "cmd.exe"
HKCU, Software\M'zoft\Internet Explorer\Main, Start Page,0, "About:Blank"
HKLM, SOFTWARE\M'zoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\SuperHidden, UncheckedValue,0x00010001,1

[del]
HKLM, SOFTWARE\Policies\M'zoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore, DisableConfig
HKLM, SOFTWARE\Policies\M'zoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore, DisableSR
HKLM, SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile, NeverShowEx

Thank you for all your help, very much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users