Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laser Printers Vs Inkjet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

We have a printer. A nice all in one.

Well its out of ink as it has been for over a year.

Stupid junk is expensive and runs out to fast.

I heard of laser printers.

They look worth while as I read they NEVER clog and can print thousands of pages with the cartridges.

Are they good for picture printing or just paper and text and stuff?

Anyone use one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have a color laser printer and quite a few inkjet printers.

If you want the best quality, go with a laser. An inkjet is good, but if you want top quality printing, laser is the way to go.

You can get a color laser for around $500.

Edited by Walkman, 22 March 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

The Walgreens in Greenwood does inkjet cartridge refills. I gave this service a try at our local Walmart and have been very satisfied. The $10 refill works every but as well as a $37 new cartridge.

Walgreens inkjet refill link
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

You can buy the color & black refill kit, along with shipping for around $60 (depending on cartridge model), and refill your cartridge approximately 15 times. That's how many I average on my inkjet refill kits.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

Walkman, glad self-refilling works for you. I tried it once and decided 'never again'. What a mess I ended up with.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

If its cost, and you only need basic black text prining, then go with a laser - you do not have to go up market, there are many very cheap ones out there. Even with the extra cost of replacing the cartridge, the saving is incomparible. I am an average user. I have been using an (antique) laser for about three years now and it still has about half the powder to go. Colour lasers will cost quite a bit, including the colour replacements. I have no info on that.
I use my old Laser for basic work and a high quality Colour inkjet for the odd ones I need.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:40 AM

I have a laser printer for black and white printing and an inkjet for color. I looked at the color lasers, but the cheapest toner cartridge I found was about $85, and there are 3 to 4 toners in a laser. Is that what you run into Walkman?
I'd love to have a color laser, but how often do you need to replace the toner cartridges? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

You ought to check out ebay. You can get a laser for quite cheap.

#9 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:46 AM

A laser one is good and fast but laser colour does not come out as good as inkjet colour. We have a laser printer and it can print up to 2000 pages each catridge.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

How long the cartridge lasts depends on how many pages you print. I've gone through a herd, about 15, of laser cartridges (black only) in the past 4 years, thanks to being a graduate and certification student in education. If you don't make oodles of copies, just the occasional one, I'd go with laser as the ink doesn't dry out. Inkjet inks will dry out. If I were into a lot of serious color printing, I'd get something entirely different - neither laser nor ink jet. But you'd be running into serious money here. I'm afraid I don't know what these are called. They have one or two at the university. And, wow, I printed great colored maps with them. Me, if I need a color print, I go to the copy shop.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:12 AM

Oh yeah the inkjet printings smudge which is annoying.

#12 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

We have a printer. A nice all in one.

Well its out of ink as it has been for over a year.

Stupid junk is expensive and runs out to fast.

Sounds like mine. :flowers: For me, it seems, it would be cheaper to just buy a new all-in-one than to buy new ink. I've seem some lasers for way less than $500, but I can't really comment on the quality. You just have to look around. :thumbsup:
I'm gonna get me a laser for my pics & stuff. :trumpet:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#13 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

If I were into a lot of serious color printing, I'd get something entirely different - neither laser nor ink jet. But you'd be running into serious money here. I'm afraid I don't know what these are called.

Dye-sublimation printers. One example here.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

My middle of the line all-in-one Ink Jet prints off crisp/clear documents, color is great.
Have refilled the cartridges five times now, without any problems. Is kinda neat knowing I print away and it's not costing me an arm and a leg!
It's a Huge money saver!
Also use it to print photos unless I need alot of copies.

Only complaint about the Inkjet is, I found if I have a large print job (lets say 25 pages w/color and text),I have to pause the printing after 5 or 6 pages for a few minutes then print off some more and pause again.....
Otherwise the colors get a bit messed up because they get too hot.

Edited by TMacK, 26 March 2007 - 01:27 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

A laser is much better cost/effective-wise for most any kind of printing except photos. Lasers just don't have fine enough detail to cut it for lab-quality photo prints. If you do some photo printing but more document printing, you may want to get a laser as your main workhorse and the inkjet for the occasional photo print.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users