Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 2.0.0.3 Update Warning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:51 AM

This morning I let Firefox install the latest update and after it restarted I got a message saying that Java 6 was incompatable with it and Firefox would disable it. I thought nothing more about it until I went to check my email in messenger and got the message that Windows messenger had encountered problems and would have to close. I got the same message on IE7 and also when I tried to go to Widows update. I tried several times and still the same. Firefox works perfect.

I seem to remember reading here at BC.com about Windows uses Java while Firefox doesn't. I feel there must be some connection with the Firefox update and ask if any of you guys know how to turn Java back on or another fix.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

What I would do is goto my Add/Remove Programs, uninstall Java, reboot..... then navigate to a site that requires Java (I use Firefox), then let it warn me that I don't have it, then click on the link at the top of the page to install it. Ultimately, I'm thinking you can go to Firefox's site and search for Java, and then install it that way.

Also, you can always go to the Sun Java web site and install it that way too, but I've had numerous problems when I done so, and 2 of my virus programs detected a virus, so I uninstalled mine, and just let my browser install it for me.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

Unless you are a developer or programmer, you do not need the Java6 platform on your computer.
What you DO need is JavaRuntimeEnvironment 1.5x, which you can freely download from:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users