Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shropwhite

shropwhite

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

hi the problem i have is ive tried to open my windows firewall and a box appears and says DUE TO AN UNIDENTIFIED PROBLEM,WINDOWS CANNOT DISPLAY WINDOWS FIREWALL SETTINGS.in the past i have got rid of unwanted programs so i am not sure if that has caused the problem.please help

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 March 2007 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

Case 1: This happens due to missing or corrupt SharedAccess registry key, which represents the Windows Firewall Service. This usually occurs if the system is infested with Virus or other Malware, or in the aftermath of Virus removal. In conjunction with the solution provided in the article, it's advisable to run a thorough cleanup of the system.

Case 2: You have Windows Live OneCare installed. Windows Live OneCare has its own Firewall which monitors both Inbound and outbound connections. Because two firewalls should not be turned on at the same time, Windows Live OneCare turns off Windows Firewall if the latter is running. [More info]

Therefore, Windows Live OneCare users can safely ignore the error message concerning the Windows Firewall.

If you don't have Windows live One Care follow the directions below.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the directions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 shropwhite

shropwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

cheers i will give it a go and let you know how i got on :thumbsup:

#4 shropwhite

shropwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

cheers buddy thats fixed it sound :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

The Windows XP firewall protects against port scanning but has limitations and it is no replacement for a robust 3rd-party two-way personal firewall.
  • The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XPís firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.
  • The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.
This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users