Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New and need help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhock

jhock

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hello,

I am new to this site and hope someone can offer offeer advise. I cannot access the Internet on our home computer, which is using a wireless network.

I am only modertely computer literate, but see that I have a good wireless connection (although thes strength seems to fluctuate bewteen very good and low a lot.

After reading a few posts on this site, I have a good ping retrun from my IP address, but it does not list a default gateway? Also, when I trieed to renew my IPconfig, it said it ws "unable to contct your DHCP server".

Help? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

What type of wireless router are you using? Do you have DHCP enabled on that router? You would need that enabled so that it will assign you an ip address and gateway

#3 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:24 PM

Another thing that you need if you're not using DHCP is settings for your DNS Servers. This allows you to reference sites as www.google.com instead of by their IP addresses (64.233.167.104 for google.com)

If you are using static IP addresses, check the settings on your wireless router's connection to the internet. It should list on the administration page all the settings.
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users